Possible Harm from Lawn Treatment?

Emily Worries

This summer I had planned on making an outdoor enclosure for my Russian, Tortimer. HOWEVER my Father decided it would be a good idea to get the lawn sprayed with God knows what a day before I got home from college. It is from the company NaturaLawn. Does anyone have insight about when it will be safe to get him outside? Anything about the company would be nice, too. Their website was not particularly helpful.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
It will depend on what was sprayed.contact the company directly and find out exactly what chemicals were used.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't risk it personally. Just not worth it. That company might tell you all their stuff is "pet safe". I don't buy it. Sure it might not cause instant death if a dog walks on it two weeks after spraying, but that doesn't mean its good for a tortoise to be eating grass and plants that were grown with those chemicals.

You are not alone. All sorts of people feel the need to use tons and tons of lawn chemicals. I have never used any and my lawns always look great, in addition to being edible for my grass eating species.

Emily Worries

I would never let him eat the grass, but I was worried the most about the soil. I wasn't sure if it would be okay to use the soil around my house, and of course I wasn't sure if the stuff would stay in one area and could spread to anything inside the enclosure.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I would make a raised flowerbeds enclosure with store bought soil. Then lots of plants (organic so you know they weren't grown with chemicals and fertilizers) and shade cloth don't can't get out.