Possible illness?

Esmerelda

5 Year Member
Recently I have moved esmerelda, my leopard tortoise into a 50 gallon. She is 14 months, 5 inches, 400g.

I've been sensing she is lathargic as when she is out of her hide she tends to spread wide out on her cooler side, but I've also thought this could be her way of getting cool distributed to all her little areas. Though she is usually tucked in while she's in her hide.

I feed her twice a day, all grown her at home (kale, sedum, dandelion, hosta, chicory Etc.) I don't fear that she's not eating enough because she has been flourishing and growing quite a bit in her new terrarium. She always has fresh water and she drinks from often. I also soak her 3 times a week.

Day time temps are 95 degree basking spot, 86 degree hide, this side is always humid at 75%. Also an 81 degree cool side and a hide at 84 degrees, I keep this sides substrate dry. Night time is 80 degrees and I don't keep my humidifier on.

I've started to check up on her nose frequently, respiratory illnesses are so common so I am extra careful. She hisses when I pick her up and shakes about but I also hear a very mute click like sound (sounds like a wet tongue on the roof of the mouth) when I hold her. It only lasts a few clicks but I don't want to put her in danger in any way,

I'm not sure if these are any indications that anything is wrong, I have done my research but I also know it's best to ask questions about my fear of any issues than to not and putting esmerelda at any risk of not getting properly looked after.

If anyone could ease my mind, or correct my mothering it would be greatly appreciated

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hi

Could you post a couple of pictures of your enclosure including the lighting?. It will help us to see if there is anything in her home that could do with a tweak.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds likes she is just adjusting to her new home. They don't take to changes right away. The clicking sound you hear when picking her up and the movement all sound normal to me. I personally would try to get the temps all to 80 except the basking spot and the humidity up to 80. Higher humidity is needed with higher temps. Otherwise, all sounds fine to me.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would take the blue/purple thing in the corner out and one hide to give more walking space. I would also think about doing an outdoor area for the summer months. The aquarium looks a little small for his size. Consider a bigger indoor enclosure too Most aquariums are too small for anything above hatchling to around 6-8 months, possibly a year, depending.

Esmerelda

5 Year Member
I would take the blue/purple thing in the corner out and one hide to give more walking space. I would also think about doing an outdoor area for the summer months. The aquarium looks a little small for his size. Consider a bigger indoor enclosure too Most aquariums are too small for anything above hatchling to around 6-8 months, possibly a year, depending.

Its her fuzzy bear she likes to rub on, I don't trust anything plastic or sharp. But yes thank you for all your advice, it is much appreciated. I'm in the process of building an outdoor terrarium as it's just started to get hot and humid in Ontario :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Its her fuzzy bear she likes to rub on, I don't trust anything plastic or sharp. But yes thank you for all your advice, it is much appreciated. I'm in the process of building an outdoor terrarium as it's just started to get hot and humid in Ontario :)
I've installed push broom heads in my pens because I discovered that my torts like to scratch their backs and butts. It's funny to hear about a young tort doing this.
Although I like what you've done with your set up, I have to agree.
It is entirely too small.
Do you have access to any outdoor area? If you could set up a pen outdoors for some part time sun, it would go a long way in keeping your tort well and happy.

Esmerelda

5 Year Member
I have moved some stuff around to give her more room. And consequently she hasn't stopped exploring, thinking maybe that was the reason she hadn't been exercising and I mistaked it for being lethargic. I will be finishing my build for my outdoor enclosure this coming weekend and I'll have to start putting together a larger one for inside.

Es and I thank you all for being so helpful! image.jpg