Is This A Prolapse?

PeachyJamJams

Location (City and/or State)
Houston
Both these are bad. The spot bulb is too intense and the coil bulb can hurt eyes and not good uvb.
Get a straight tube fluorescent for uvb, a t5 10.0 HO tube fluorescent.
A incandescent FLOOD bulb for basking and ceramic heat emitters for added day heat and night heat.
Get him in a closed chamber with 80% humidity. He's already pyramiding too much for his size
1. fluorescent UVB
2. flood bulb
3. ceramic emitter
I have attached files of all three, how would I set up the long bulb in its current state as it is 36 inches long the bulb is 22"? Closed chamber? Would that mean just putting any kind of top on? As I have mentioned I care about it and can make every one of these changes tomorrow morning, bear with me. I sent the example of the first three points. Do they pass? Appreciate the help!

Attachments

• tempImagebM7FTV.png
    tempImagebM7FTV.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • tempImage7yBPJc.png
    tempImage7yBPJc.png
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • tempImageKh3kon.png
    tempImageKh3kon.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 1

PeachyJamJams

Houston
You have to know the exact temp. Get a digital thermometer that also reads humidity and a point and shoot infrared temp gun. Knowing the exact temps is a must.
95-100 under the flood bulb.
All over day and night never below 80.
Humidity 80%
Closed chamber enclosure.
Changes needed ASAP!
Will get the thermometer tomorrow morning and temp gun. Never below 80 got it.

PeachyJamJams

Houston
Both these are bad. The spot bulb is too intense and the coil bulb can hurt eyes and not good uvb.
Get a straight tube fluorescent for uvb, a t5 10.0 HO tube fluorescent.
A incandescent FLOOD bulb for basking and ceramic heat emitters for added day heat and night heat.
Get him in a closed chamber with 80% humidity. He's already pyramiding too much for his size
I dont know if my other reply posted but would these be enough? I can make the changes tomorrow morning, including getting a thermometer and gun. Also how would i attach the tube bulb in the current enclosure? Would i just put a top on it? Or do i need a whole new enclosure.

Attachments

• tempImageaVtLUW.png
    tempImageaVtLUW.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImage9RianR.png
    tempImage9RianR.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImageoKyLLx.png
    tempImageoKyLLx.png
    3 MB · Views: 0

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I dont know if my other reply posted but would these be enough? I can make the changes tomorrow morning, including getting a thermometer and gun. Also how would i attach the tube bulb in the current enclosure? Would i just put a top on it? Or do i need a whole new enclosure.
The tube fluorescent and the emitter is correct the basking spot bulb is not. You need an incandescent FLOOD bulb, it will say flood bulb. Look for the one made by Arcadia.
Also I forgot to mention the enclosure you are using now is way too small. A pop up greenhouse works good and you just need to add a tarp to the bottom for the floor. I will post a pic. Get the biggest you can.
1000001354.jpg

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hopefully you’ll find this thread below useful to read through, feel free to double check equipment🙂

PeachyJamJams

Houston
The tube fluorescent and the emitter is correct the basking spot bulb is not. You need an incandescent FLOOD bulb, it will say flood bulb. Look for the one made by Arcadia.
Also I forgot to mention the enclosure you are using now is way too small. A pop up greenhouse works good and you just need to add a tarp to the bottom for the floor. I will post a pic. Get the biggest you can.
View attachment 377523
Will get the biggest I can, this will be for an indoor enclosure with the pop-up greenhouse. Also, I see the flood bulb you mentioned, would 100 watts be sufficient? It is by Arcadia, any idea how to set up the long UVB bulb? I notice the floodlight does not emit UVA, would I need another bulb? Thank you for your help and patience.

PeachyJamJams

Houston
Hopefully you’ll find this thread below useful to read through, feel free to double check equipment🙂
Wow, a lot of great information I had not heard of from the people I was taught. Will be making all necessary updates tomorrow. Do you know by chance of the base (looks like wood) of the enclosures on the thread was hand-built or store-bought? I can not tell.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow, a lot of great information I had not heard of from the people I was taught. Will be making all necessary updates tomorrow. Do you know by chance of the base (looks like wood) of the enclosures on the thread was hand-built or store-bought? I can not tell.
I'm glad that we are able to help you. Read these for the correct care info and an explanation of what is going on. Questions are welcome:

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
A lot of folks do make them by hand but some get nifty and use big book cases, laid flat with the shelves out, or even raised garden beds, a lot of which come with the topper, it’s just about making sure those sides are high enough and be sure to line with cheap pond lining or even a shower curtain to protect your base/floor🙂