Possible RI scare

Ellie933

Location (City and/or State)
Mobile Alabama
I freak out so much over every little thing with Pebble. This is one of my less proud moments lol. I was laying on my bed trying to figure out whether I wanted to take AP Statistics or pre-calculus (suggestions welcome btw) and I heard this odd chirping noise. At first I thought it was the birds outside my window but then I realize it's coming from inside Pebbles enclosure! My instinct was of course to run her a warm soak, check her nose and eyes for bubbles and/or discharge, and read up on chirping on here. I was in tears thinking about what on earth I was going to do. I let her soak and read threads about RIs and such, and then after about 30 minutes of soaking during which she seemed completely normal, I decided to let her back into her enclosure. I monitored her and noticed her yawn one time, and that was the final straw. I found an emergency vet and called her regular vet and I was all ready to run to the emergency vet 2 hours away when I heard the chirping sound again! I ran over to get a video to show the vet and then I noticed something... she was chewing on the remnants of some Mazuri pellets from her rock.
Yeah... the chirping noise was her beak scratching the rock... I feel so stupid but also quite relieved!
I'm going to continue to monitor her closely and give extra soaks, warmer temps, etc. just to be safe.
There still isn't an explanation to why she was yawning or smacking her lips, so I'm going to keep a close eye on that, but I'm fairly certain she was just getting the last of those mazuri pellets!

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
So, what kind of tortoise? Age, size, etc. you have your enclosure inside I’m guessing. It’s always best to NOT panic and to just take your time & try and figure things out. Rushing to “take care of an issue” usually creates more problems & expenses.

It’s pretty common for torts to “yawn”. If you search on the Forum you will find lots pf pix.

This time of year with high outside temps & humidity, RI are not too common. Cold & wet = RI.

Good luck

Ellie933

Mobile Alabama
So, what kind of tortoise? Age, size, etc. you have your enclosure inside I’m guessing. It’s always best to NOT panic and to just take your time & try and figure things out. Rushing to “take care of an issue” usually creates more problems & expenses.

It’s pretty common for torts to “yawn”. If you search on the Forum you will find lots pf pix.

This time of year with high outside temps & humidity, RI are not too common. Cold & wet = RI.

Good luck
Thank you! She is a 10 month old Russian tortoise and her shell is about 3.5 inches long. It's super sweet when she yawns, but in combination with the "chirping" it freaked me out.