Help my dog punctured my Sulcata tortoise shell what can I do?

MStalder

Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Please help, I have a baby sulcata tortoise and my dog picked him up out of his pool and chewed on him. He has a crack on one side and the other side I can see tissue at the front by his leg, very little blood so far. We are taking him to the vet tomorrow when they open, no emergency vet does exotics near us. I have attempted to clean the wound with just water but was afraid to try to touch it for fear it would hurt him. I have seen him move his legs but he won’t come out of his shell.
What can I do for him until we can take him to the vet?

tempest979

NY
Clean it with hibiclens or some kinda antibacterial if you have, some iodine maybe, make sure not to get in his eye though. If it bleeds wrap some clean bounty around it not too tight. That's all I can think of.

MStalder

Utah
Clean it with hibiclens or some kinda antibacterial if you have, some iodine maybe, make sure not to get in his eye though. If it bleeds wrap some clean bounty around it not too tight. That's all I can think of.
Thank you

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For now it's best to keep it clean by not putting him on substrate, just a towel or paper towel. Keep him warm, 85 and wait until the vet visit.

tempest979

NY
Dog's are not the best to leave around a tortoise or turtle unoccupied. My friend's red eared slider got bit by his dog and died. They can act like they're perfectly ok with the tortoise and then one day *BITE*. Hope your's is ok.