Dog attack

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
New member @Jazsolita just pm’d me by mistake instead of starting a thread with the following message. @Yvonne G. @Tom @JoesMum

Yesterday about 6pm my dog broke through my tortoise in closure and attacked my 30yr old male. I found him upside down in a pool of blood. Thankfully he’s still alive, but his front right leg is in bad shape. He can kind of move it, but not put weight on it and there are multiple puncture wounds. One rather large one that has fleshy substance hanging out and one of his claws are completely gone. I gave him a Luke warm bath and cleaned him up as much as possible. I called all vets in my area and NONE of them can treat him. Unfortunately I am not able to drive 150 miles to have him treated.
I got a spray on wound dressing and have wrapped his leg the best I can. I kept him in the house last night, but he was not happy about it. What else can I do for him? I’m worried his leg may be broken.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No way around it. You need a vet ASAP. Find one or drive to one. You need x rays and antibiotics ASAP. Owning an animal isn't necessarily cheap, convenient or easy. You are responsible for this animal, you are responsible for what happened to this animal and you are responsible for doing everything possible to help this animal now.

If you can't do this, you might as well euthanize the poor thing so it doesn't suffer a slow painful death. And then don't get another tortoise as you are not able to give them proper vet care when needed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it's as bad as it sounds, I agree with Tom. Just imagine if this was done to you, you'd drive as far as you needed to get medical attention.
150 miles doesn't take very long, 1 1/2 2 hours. Otherwise try to talk the closer vets into helping him.

Last edited:

Jazsolita

Pahrump, Nv
It’s not that I’m not willing to drive that far. I’m not able to!!! My only vehicle is in the shop till sometime next week. I live very rural and there’s no public transportation. I have a friend willing to take me, but she can’t do it till Friday. Was hoping for some advice on what more I could do for him till then!!

Bee62

Germany
It’s not that I’m not willing to drive that far. I’m not able to!!! My only vehicle is in the shop till sometime next week. I live very rural and there’s no public transportation. I have a friend willing to take me, but she can’t do it till Friday. Was hoping for some advice on what more I could do for him till then!!
Hello, I am sorry what happend to your tortoise. Keeping the wounds clean is most important. You must keep your tort indoors in an enclosure with no soil, only on paper towels. Be sure that flies don`t lay eggs in the wounds.
Keep ypur tortoise warm and soak her for well hydration in clear water. Clean the wounds every day.
Your tort has pain and need antibiotics. Please visit a VET as soon as it is possible for you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do like Bee62 said. Keep warm, 5-10 degrees warmer then normal. No substrate and be sure to keep it clean and no flies getting too him.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Crap always seems to happen at the worse times, ugh.

Bee62

Germany
Can you upload some pics of your tort and the injuries ? What species is your tort ?

Jazsolita

Pahrump, Nv
He’s an agassizii desert tortoise. I haven’t been able to get a good pic of the wound because of where it’s at. Need a 3rd hand. It’s on his front right leg but on the back of what would be like an elbow.

Bee62

Germany
He’s an agassizii desert tortoise. I haven’t been able to get a good pic of the wound because of where it’s at. Need a 3rd hand. It’s on his front right leg but on the back of what would be like an elbow.
Only one wound on one leg, no more ? I hope it is not too bad.
Does your tort look like that ?
1280px-Gopherus_agassizii.jpg

Bee62

Germany
@Tom
What would you recomment for antibiotics and anti-pain meds for the tort ? Ceftazidime and Meloxicam ( Metacam ) ?
Can the meds be given orally ?
Maybe a "dog&cat" Vet would give the meds to @Jazsolita .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Call a rental car company. They will come pick you up and bring you to the car, or bring the car to you. Borrow a friend or family member's car. Uber. Find a closer vet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom
What would you recomment for antibiotics and anti-pain meds for the tort ? Ceftazidime and Meloxicam ( Metacam ) ?
Can the meds be given orally ?
Maybe a "dog&cat" Vet would give the meds to @Jazsolita .
That level of injury is beyond what advice an internet tortoise guy should be recommending. This tortoise needs wound care and x rays to see if the leg is broken. The would might need to be irrigated… There are many possibilities that only an experienced tortoise vet should be assessing and advising on. Way out of my league, and way out of the league of anyone who isn't a vet.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Pahrump, NV is only an hour from Las Vegas . . . PLEASE find transportation to a skilled vet there. This desert tortoise is still young at 30 and certainly deserves your very best efforts to get him medical care. Until you can get to the vet tomorrow, keep him in a box, indoors and in a darkened area to lessen stress. Enterprise delivers cars and has them available for about $30 a day. Call now and get to the vet . . . this precious tortoise is worth it. If the long-term responsibility for his care is something that is not convenient for you, there are tortoise rescues that are willing to accept the responsibility. Now GO!

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Pahrump, NV is only an hour from Las Vegas . . . PLEASE find transportation to a skilled vet there. This desert tortoise is still young at 30 and certainly deserves your very best efforts to get him medical care. Until you can get to the vet tomorrow, keep him in a box, indoors and in a darkened area to lessen stress. Enterprise delivers cars and has them available for about $30 a day. Call now and get to the vet . . . this precious tortoise is worth it. If the long-term responsibility for his care is something that is not convenient for you, there are tortoise rescues that are willing to accept the responsibility. Now GO!
I truly didn't intend to be unpleasant in my post, but I certainly did intend to stress how urgent the issue is. Infection must be prevented and the issue of pain must be adressed. Get the name/number of the qualified vet and tape it in a prominent place, such as the refrigerator door. Better yet, put tht information on your cell phone for quick access. Please let us know how this turns out. Thank you for taking care of your tortoise.

Bee62

Germany
That level of injury is beyond what advice an internet tortoise guy should be recommending. This tortoise needs wound care and x rays to see if the leg is broken. The would might need to be irrigated… There are many possibilities that only an experienced tortoise vet should be assessing and advising on. Way out of my league, and way out of the league of anyone who isn't a vet.
You are right. I agree with you. I only thought it would be helpful to give meds before the VET visit on Friday ( hopefully ).

HawaiiHermann

Hawaii
My tortoise recently suffered a brutal rat attack. Your tortoise has a chance of surviving, but I agree that you need to get it to a vet ASAP for the woulds to be evaluated and properly cleaned and to assess what treatments he will need to keep infection from taking hold and to promote healing. He will likely need multiple vet visits over a period of time (to administer antibiotics, measure progress, etc.) so keep that in mind if transportation is an ongoing concern for you.

Is there a desert tortoise rescue/protection group in Nevada, like the ones in Arizona or California? Could they perhaps make a "house call" and take the tortoise in for treatment?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
We are all backing you here and know you care for him and will do your very best!!!
Good luck and try to get to a good vet, please!
:) Keep us posted!

Sheldonsmytort

Prescott valley, AZ
Hello,

This is heartbreaking. Please remember that your tortoise has a completely different circlitorry system than your average 'pet'.
This young Tort. Is likely suffering something awful if the wound is as bad as it sounds.
Tortoises die very slowly when confronted with diseases and or other infections that may not be visible to people who are handling them. How in the world is he not suffering from an infection, torn tissues or worse.

Please get him proper care in an exotic vets office ASAP.

Does this site have a group of us whom are willing to help hardship cases and presume ownership when possible of another Tort? I know I would help work on that.