DOG ATTACK!?! HELP ME!

Druidcorn

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello. My little baby Aimon got used as a chew toy by my roommates dog a few days ago. Since then I've relocated his terrain so she can't reach him, cleaned him up as best I could, and applied dabs of baby neosporin to his wounds since I literally have 0 dollars to do anything else to help him. (Internet said it was fine to use on animals as long as they don't ingest it.)

It's been 3 days but I can't tell if he's getting any better. He won't stand up and walk around like he used to normally do. He'll try to crawl a little if I bother him enough but other than that nothing. He just lays there. He won't eat and has not eaten since the day the dog bit him. He seems like he's trying to avoid using his right front leg but I don't know why. I poked it a few times to check it and he was able to tuck it in his shell so I don't know if it's that it's actually damaged or if he just doesn't feel like moving.

Here's the main two wounds that he has:

2016-01-09 18.38.53.jpg
2016-01-09 18.38.16.jpg

Anyone know anything else I can do for him from home to help get him better or if there even is anything else I can do?

Thanks in Advanced,

Kam and Aimon.

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would keep him on paper towels if the wound seems open at all. Keep the wound clean use the neosporin and daily warm water soaks and bump his enclosure heat to 85 day and night. Be sure the dog can't get to him at call, even to look at him and give him some time to get over the trauma. The wound doesn't look that bad from shat I could tell, so I expect a full recovery.

Druidcorn

Florida
Thanks so much. He's up pretty high and I'm also enforcing just keeping her out of the room he's in just in case so hopefully it'll be enough for this never to happen again.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Was the shell broken? if you cannot afford a vet visit then basic first aid keep the wound clean keep applying neosporin and watch for changes if he has not received any serious injury he's going to be shell shocked (pardon the pun) for a while until he feels safe again

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kam:

That wound on the underside looks pretty bad. And because of the wound on the top side, I'm thinking there might be some squashed type internal damage, maybe something to the spine, since he's not walking.

I know you said you don't have much money, but it's pretty important that this baby gets to a vet for treatment. Call around and ask if they'll take payments. Well, first ask if they treat tortoises, then ask if they take payments. It's a necessary evil, I'm afraid.

Kori5

I feel the vet check is necessary, I' m sorry because this happened to you and your baby :(. But when you get an animal, you take an obligation to care for it and get help when needed. These things should be considered before such a commitment. Maybe you can loan some or get checks? I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I believe it is in your and your tort best interest. His wounds look deep to me and maybe they aren't but what if they are?

M

Maggie Cummings

He has internal injuries... the only one I could in find in Nevada

Tortoise Veterinarians in Nevada
Listed Alphabetically by City

LAS VEGAS

George Stoecklin
N. Las Vegas Animal Hospital
2437 E. Cheyenne
N. Las Vegas, NV 89030
Tel: (702) 642-5353
Fax: (702) 642-0669

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I'm trying to imagine the direction of force the dog's jaws applied to cause those injuries and it looks like this baby had combined crush and puncture type of force applied almost on diagonal and it looks like a very young baby tort so that she'll may still have some give to it. I'm saying this because I worry not just about broken she'll on the tummy side and puncture wound on the lower back, but also about compression of the internal structures (bones, i.e. Spine with spinal cord) and internal organs.
Crush injuries can end up with ruptured liver, spleen, bowel... punctured lungs.... And many other potential issues. The belly side wound looks bad enough to indicate broken bones inside and I hate to even think what else. That part of the "belly she'll" covers big bony structures of shoulder join, and spine is close enough...
I get the money problem, but reptile vet visit is in order immediately.
I can only imagine the pain this baby must be suffering. As his/her tort mom I'm sure you care about your pet and want to help her.
I'm afraid half measures won't accomplish much. If you don't have access to 24 hr emergency clinic please borrow money and go first thing in am.
Any vet could X-ray check for obvious internal injuries and treat the pain or if the injuries are too devastating, put the baby out of it's misery.
I'm sorry to be such Cassandra.

Oh, and please do not hate that dog! It is not the dog's fault that this little tortoise was not secured in his enclosure. Dog was just being... a dog. They don't know any better.