Sulcata tangled in wire! Help!!

rlander459

Location (City and/or State)
Norco, CA
Our 100# male got himself tangled in a cat5 cable. It is wrapped around his left front leg, and a knot is inside the enclosure. How can we get him to relax his leg so we can get a wire cutter onto the wire?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That doesn't look like it is wrapped. Just turn him right side up and let him walk out of it. The bucket suggestion is good too. Turn the bucket upside down.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The knot is keeping the wire wrapped on the inside just inside the first joint!!
Try the upside down bucket method. If that fails, use a warm soaking tub. Keep adding warm water until the tortoise starts walking around, then pull the wire out.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can you turn him right side up and turn the hose on him? That may start him walking and you can pull it out?

rlander459

Norco, CA
I'm want to know how to get him to relax that leg so I can snip the wire! I have the bucket...but my wife and I are in our 70s and he is difficult to lift! Any suggestions?
Can you turn him right side up and turn the hose on him? That may start him walking and you can pull it out?

rlander459

Norco, CA
He's back on his feet, btw, we let go to bed that way last night. There doesn't appear to be any strangulation risk right now. I just need a chance to get those hemastats or cutter in there but I dot want to lung at his and risk cutting him!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you ask some neighbors to help you lift him onto the bucket?
The bucket should work. Most seem to let their legs hang when on the bucket.
Otherwise you can try rubbing him on his back, some will stand up tall with this. Or try spraying with a hose.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What's happening now? Can you get him to a pool or large tub of water? He would maybe start moving his legs to swim?

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Also, when he’s up in the air, if you kind of tilting down in the front, they tend to extend their front legs to catch them selves. That can be helpful.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Problem solved! Three of us got together for the hoist and I noticed that the knot had loosened. I used the long hemastats with a curved tip to finish untangling the knot and then pulled the wire out!!
Thanks to everyone who helped!!😺
View attachment 358201
Yay, knew you could do it.