Possible Shell Rot?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
That turtle is suffering significant shell rot/bacteria....how do you house this turtle? Does the turtle live in a heated body of water? Does the tortoise have a place that it can climb completely out of the water, under a basking light--to dry out? Please share how long you have had the turtle, is the turtle the only turtle? Or are there other turtles with this one....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Is that a reeve turtle? (just curious)
Pretty bad case of shell rot, in water turtles (terrapins) it is usually from unsanitary conditions.

M

Maggie Cummings

I thought from the head it is a red eared slider.
rwsy, we need to know just how you are keeping this slider. Gallons in tank, is there a filter, any other turtles with him, temp of the water, how often do you change the water? We need to know these things so we can tell where this shell rot came from.
I know there aren't a lot of exotics Vets in Singapore, so you are going to have to fix what is wrong in his tank, and treat him yourself. Does he have any on his plastron?
Get some Nolvasan (Chlorhexidine) mix it 1 part Nolvasan to 20 parts water. He will need to be dry docked for a while. That means putting him in something that will keep him dry with a light to keep him warm during the day (and to help dry the rot) and a black light bulb to keep him warm at night. You will have to put him back in the water for about 1/2 an hour either in the morning or at night so you can feed him. They can only eat in the water. I would scrub those spots with Betadine once only, then 3 or 4 times a day use the Nolvasan with cotton balls or something like that to put the Nolvasan on his spots. He will not be happy about it, but that's what I would do and have done to mine.
Good luck, please answer our questions and keep us posted on how he's doing.
And welcome to TFO...