Possibly blind

ashbelys

5 Year Member
Hello, I was wondering how I find out if my turtle is blind. He hadn't been eating so I started putting him in a small container by himself to eat. I also had to start giving him tuna bc he won't eat the turtle pellets. I've noticed he seems to find the tuna by smelling for it. Also, he often snaps at just the water like there is food there, but there isn't. It seems the only way he eats is in a very small container surrounding him with food. My other turtle sees pellets right away and follows them around the tank, which seems like the norm. Any advice?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What species and age? Are you using a coil type UV bulb?

ashbelys

5 Year Member
Western painted turtle, only about 2 months old. I do use a coil UVB. It's the only one I could find.

Maverick

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Possibly blind

Tom said:
What species and age? Are you using a coil type UV bulb?

I understand the coil bulbs are a heated topic here, and I mean no disrespect but if housed together wouldn't the fact that the other turtle is ok lend creedence that the bulb is not to blame?
Don't get me wrong I took mine back, why chance it...?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I don't know enough about turtles to give you any advice, but I CAN give your thread a bump! GOOD LUCK to you and your little guy!

ashbelys

5 Year Member
Thank you guys. Also, I don't think it would be the bulb, because that would have a slow affect on them and they haven't even been alive long enough for the effects of a bright bulb to start showing. And this has been a problem with my turtle since I got him.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I would still get rid of that bulb. And again you need to try other foods like worms different pellets tilapia feeder fish ect. And I still think they should be separated.

ashbelys

5 Year Member
I looked everywhere for a UVB bulb that wasn't spiral but I couldn't find one. I don't understand the different anyway. And it's not that he doesn't want it, it's that he can't find it. And I do separate them for feeding and then the little one gets a few hours alone to soak in his pedialyte. I can't afford to have 2 turtle tanks right now. And they seem to enjoy each other's company, they are always basking close together and stuff. And I've been watching a lot more and there doesn't seem to be bullying going on. I really think he isn't striving bc there is something wrong with him. But everyday, I put him in another container to eat and I feed him tuna. He seems to do a lot better with that than the pellets.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Imagine taking a long fluorescent light bulb, and twisting all around so you can smush it together. Now light that WOULD have been spread out over a couple of feet is intensely coming out of just a few inches. This is believed to cause a condition called Photo-kerato-conjunctivitis. It's the same thing as snow blindness and welder's blindness: too much light reflected intensely back to the eye (one from the bright, white snow and the other from the welder's arc). It is very painful- like having sand in your eyes all the time, and the victim often closes their eyes. Please rethink that coil bulb.

ashbelys

5 Year Member
In that case, does anyone know where I can get a regular UVB bulb?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I have seen them at PetSmart. You can also order them from many of the reptile vendors who are members of this forum. I don't know them all, but I know LLL Reptile, Tortoise Supply and Carolina Pet Supply all sell bulbs and fixtures. Good luck!!:)