Post-hibernation concerns

Kevin_

Hi, my 20-year old desert tortoise has been up for about a month after his winter hibernation. Unfortunately, the weather is still windy during this time of year, and though the temps have been rising, windy days are still around. My tortoise has shown signs of eating, as the last time I fed him was 2 weeks ago, including him grazing on grass. The only problem is hydration and energy. I've no clue if he has drunk any water yet, and when I give him baths, he falls asleep and remains like so in the tub. Now, all he does is sleep in his enclosed habitat. He has not gone out for sunlight since the day he grazed. Should I be worried?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hi, my 20-year old desert tortoise has been up for about a month after his winter hibernation. Unfortunately, the weather is still windy during this time of year, and though the temps have been rising, windy days are still around. My tortoise has shown signs of eating, as the last time I fed him was 2 weeks ago, including him grazing on grass. The only problem is hydration and energy. I've no clue if he has drunk any water yet, and when I give him baths, he falls asleep and remains like so in the tub. Now, all he does is sleep in his enclosed habitat. He has not gone out for sunlight since the day he grazed. Should I be worried?

Hi. What is his normal before/during/after brumation habits? Is he doing like he normally does or is he way off normal? May we see a picture of him, primarily I am interested in pics of his head (eyes/notrils) as well as pics of his front legs/neck area.... What part of California does he live in?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hi. I have no experience with DTs but I have plenty of hibernation experience.

I am concerned by what you say. I reckon on 2-3 weeks of gradual improvement to get Joe fully active.

Those soaks are vital. A good 20 minutes twice a day. Joe frequently snoozes if the water temperature is right.

Joe rarely eats until he's done a massive wee and a small poop. Have seen any signs of wee/poop?

The only other reason for a slow start would be temperature. Is he able to bask properly? I have to physically put Joe under the lamp myself until he gets going.

I agree with ascott about the pictures, they would be helpful. I too have concerns about a respiratory infection brewing