Powdery stuff on face

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickyb

5 Year Member
Hello,

I notice a white powdery appearance on her face since the past 3 days. it dissapears as soon as I mist her and the cage... any ideas? there is no white stuff from her nostrils or mouth. tongue is a healthy pink... Just on the head... almost looks like a fine fungus...

humidity is about 35% in the tank.. any ideas?

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottinghamshire, UK
Yes could also be cuttlebone. Dont worry its fine! Crush looks like a druggie all the time XD
xx

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
vickyb said:
Her = my tortoise

I think he wanted to know what kind of tortoise you have :)
Do you think it could be from chewing on the cuttlebone?

vickyb

5 Year Member
Oops sorry :( Her is a redfoot. I got her from a pet store. apparently she was well looked after (or so it seems). she HATES greens. will eat rommaine lettuce hearts and loves mango and strawberry but I apparently cannot give her too much of that :(

She is about 3.5 inches long (just the shell) and I have NO idea how old she is.

the yellow coloring on her face is very dull and I read somewhere that giving her red and yellow peppers maintains their colors. All the information on the internet about redfoots is so contradictory and confusing :(

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
vickyb, we have a lot of members here who have redfoot tortoises! Hopefully they will be able to offer you advice or caresheets with accurate information.
I have a Russian tortoise so unfortunately I can't help you, but I'm sure someone will! It is very frustrating to read conflicting information!!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I was replying while you answered my Q? about what you have...

Terry K

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Vickyb...check out Turtletary's sites. They have details on diet, etc for Redfoots.

Can you post of picture of her powdery face?
good luck
Patsy

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Now that I know you have a redfoot!

This will get you started.. http://www.redfoots.com/redfoot.htm

Part of our opening statement is:

"We are going to get right into this by saying up-front that the purpose of this site is to help all that have ever been confused, deceived, distressed or felt taken advantage of.. by: breeders, dealers or brokers of Redfoot tortoises! Especially "Caresheets" based on hearsay, not experience!
We all have experienced the above.. including us!!!"

Ask any of these "advice-givers" on the internet how their hatchlings look after 4 years based on their caresheet and see what you get.

Since Dec. '98 I've raised redfoot tortoises from hatchlings to become proven breeders. There are a number of redfoot keepers here that have gained from that experience.

What I've done and experienced isn't important to you.... the only thing that is important is can you learn something from it that will help your redfoot have a long healthy life!

Based on what you have said the pet store has no clue on caring for a redfoot tortoise! Mine love greens.. the humidity is up around 70-80% and they never look dry. Tuff-luv and changes on your part will get him on the right track.

Post pics if you can of your 6 month old.. and the tank you are keeping him in please.

NERD

Status
Not open for further replies.