Power outage plan for tortoise housing?

Nelsamye

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA
So I recently had my power go out and realized I had no back up plan for my tortoise, his enclosure is too large to be moved, so I had to scramble to set up something temporary at a relatives house. Luckily my power was only out for a night, but winter is only just starting and I'm sure this will happen again where I live. Is this a problem for anyone else? What back up plan do you have in place? I'd love some input so I'm more prepared.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Tortoises will be fine without their lights for quite a while, it is heat that is your biggest concern during an outage. I have a supply of hand/foot warmers at the ready. I haven't had to use them thankfully, but I envision putting my tort in a much smaller enclosure and using those as an emergency heat source. If you're worried about an extended outage, have mazuri on hand so you don't have to worry about your produce going bad and not having tort food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The hand warmers and hot water bottles are a good temporary plan, but nothing beats a generator. Unless society completely collapses you would be able to run it for weeks if need be. And there will be ZERO stress to your tortoise since they stay in their enclosure and everything functions as it normally does. Gennies only cost a few hundred bucks for a big one, so they are cheap insurance for our beloved cold blooded friends.

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
It's semi-expensive but if you want to be safe a gasoline powered generator. They are usually 400-1000 dollars depending on HP and watts but if you have to keep refilling it with gas for a week without power and this happens once or twice a winter it adds up. Also I know you can buy one in amazon made by CHAMPION with a wireless remote for a little over 500$. but the hand warmers seems like a much cheaper but less effective way to heat up your tortoise during a power outage. Last year during hurricane sandy I did not have power for 2 full weeks and used the generator for my tortoises and house, it worked great :) Hope this could help-Ben

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tom said:
The hand warmers and hot water bottles are a good temporary plan, but nothing beats a generator. Unless society completely collapses you would be able to run it for weeks if need be. And there will be ZERO stress to your tortoise since they stay in their enclosure and everything functions as it normally does. Gennies only cost a few hundred bucks for a big one, so they are cheap insurance for our beloved cold blooded friends.

I agree with this. I also keep on hand enough plastic totes for all the turtles/tortoises just incase we would have to leave the house. Well okay the biggest sulcatas might not fit in theirs any more. :rolleyes: I have a supply of old bedding/towels to cover/help insulate on hand. There is a emergency kit with health items and numbers of folks who can take them in or care for them if I were hurt in some way along with actual care instructions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yep, just started our generator up the other day. It's a small one. So, while my tortoises are safe and warm, we will not be:(. Hey, that's what ya gotta do, right? They didn't make me get them:D
Since I have been living in Chicago, 1992 we only lost power for an amount of time that was bad once. I'm not really worried.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
wellington said:
Yep, just started our generator up the other day. It's a small one. So, while my tortoises are safe and warm, we will not be:(. Hey, that's what ya gotta do, right? They didn't make me get them:D
Since I have been living in Chicago, 1992 we only lost power for an amount of time that was bad once. I'm not really worried.

Lol drive by your house, it's just candle lights on the main house, then in the backyard where the shed is it see a glow.. Nice cozy heated shed.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Tom said:

Generators are not an option for some folks living in an apartment, like myself. I would love to have a generator, as I completely agree they are a great cheap back up plan, but I will have to wait until I have my own house :-/ But, that's why we make friends with neighbors, right?? :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pokeymeg, you don't have a balcony? You could run it someplace else and run an extension cord to your apt. They make relatively small, quiet ones that would run a few hundred watts. Enough for a few CHEs and your fridge.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Millerlite said:
wellington said:

Lol drive by your house, it's just candle lights on the main house, then in the backyard where the shed is it see a glow.. Nice cozy heated shed.

What's really funny. We actually bought it to run my marine aquarium. The one time we had to use it, we ran the frig and aquarium. The bad thing is, we own the three flat we live in. Oops, was I suppose to give heat to the renters.:D

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Tom said:
Pokeymeg, you don't have a balcony? You could run it someplace else and run an extension cord to your apt. They make relatively small, quiet ones that would run a few hundred watts. Enough for a few CHEs and your fridge.

Good to know, Tom. I wasn't aware there were actually small, quiet ones out there...I just imagine those big ones that are loud enough to advertise to a 5 block radius that you have power!

Nelsamye

5 Year Member
Seattle, WA
I have no experience with generators, so this is good info, I'll look in to a small one for my apartment. In the meantime I'll stock up on those hand warmers and hope we don't get any more wind storms before I can purchase a generator.

sopo

5 Year Member
So Central OK
A few years ago, I was taking care of a sully hatchling. I was in an all electric house and there was a huge ice storm. I was also taking care of my daughter's hamster and had 2 dogs and 2 cats. The electricity went out for 3 days and there were trees down across the road so couldn't get in or out. I had a bunch of hand feet warmers. I kept one in with the sully with a towel over it and him on top of it. then covered the tub with towels, one with the hamster, a couple in my pockets and the dogs, cats and I all piled under covers on the bed. In those 3 days, it got below freezing temps in the house. I would jump out, and take a bite of a granola bar (which was frozen), check everyone and jump back in bed. The tort and hamster came through fine as did the rest of us. I always have hand warmers around now though. And a few kerosene heaters to keep a room warm if need be. ;)