Power outage

rachelraines

Location (City and/or State)
ALABAMA
Hey guys! So someone hit a power line in our neighborhood this morning and our power is out. It happened about 30 mins ago and the repair time is about 3-4 hours. I am worried about the enclosure getting cold without the lights - ??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, just leave him where he is. If it's 80 outside, your house should be as warm as the AC wouldn't be running.
Putting him outside in his enclosure, he could get over heated.
Is this an adult or hatchling? What species?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you have a temp gun? You could temp the enclosure. If for some reason the temp drops, you could take him outside as long as there is shade provided. But he should be fine in his enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey guys! So someone hit a power line in our neighborhood this morning and our power is out. It happened about 30 mins ago and the repair time is about 3-4 hours. I am worried about the enclosure getting cold without the lights - ??
Should be fine in the summer time. There are occasional cloudy cool days in the wild too. If it was dropping into the 60s in the enclosure, you might have to take action. You can use the outdoor enclosure for a while longer today too. Of course make sure there is always shade so he doesn't overheat, and I like to soak them on the way back in.

Now is the time to start thinking about a decent generator for occasions like this. There are many ways to do it. You can have the big daddy deluxe diesel automatic whole house one installed ($10,000-15,000), or you can get a small one (around $300-500) and simply run extension cords to your fridge and reptile enclosures. I chose the intermediate route. I have a couple of decent sized Honda generators that I can roll out and plug into special boxes that I had installed on my house or barn to power everything when needed. Get one now when they are readily available and easy to find. When the winter storms start rolling in, they sometimes become scarce in stores. You might be able to find a used one on Craigslist or FB cheaper too.