Scales came of front leg

serendipity123

Location (City and/or State)
Leeds
Ive had my hermanns for 3 weeks.

A joiner built me an 8ft by 4ft indoor enclosure aswell as a 10ft by 5ft outdoor.

Ive been to the vet twice first was to get hus beak trimmed snd annual health check. Everything is fine. The outcome was that hes a happy and healthy tortoise.

The second time was because he ate a buttercup. The outcome was still good a healthy tortoise.

Now today i left him to go to work. Came back from work. Didnt see anything unusual picked him up and put him in his outdoor enclosure.

There i noticed that he is missing a lot of scales where the bend is in his front leg. Just one of them.

I rang the vet straight away and can see me on monday. I sent them a photo of his leg.

Now the joiner seems like a bit of a rubbish tradesman. He didnt put liner down in the hide part of the indoor so i didnt put soil in there i put a load of newspapers.

My tort loves the newspaper and has been burrowing in it. But i think what has happened. Hes burrowed himself so much that he may have scraped his leg on the wooden floor.

So upset with myself and cant help blaming myself.

Monday seems like such a long time to wait.

Attachments

• 20240814_163835.jpg
    20240814_163835.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1

serendipity123

Leeds
By the way. Ive ordered some liner for the hide and have soil already. The liner isnt coming until ssturday. So this weekend he'll have soil in his hide

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I don’t suppose we could get a closer picture of the area you’re talking about?

If using soil, don’t use store brought, there’s no way of knowing what plants have gone into it, could be toxic. Just use soil from your yard🙂

Welcome to the forum🐢💚

serendipity123

Leeds
Hes asleep right now.

Its not bleeding but a lot of scales have fallen off in one piece. I was at work so dont exactly know what happened.

I feel so rubbish.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome from Devon. Don't feel bad about this - most people get confronted with something they never anticipated with their first tortoise, I'm sure. If the area isn't bleeding, I suggest you wash it carefully with warm water,checking that there are no splinters in there, and dry with a paper towel, but perhaps don't let him go back in the hide until you have the liner in place. I think the scales will re-grow in time.
What is his name? We have a Hermanns tortoise too - Zola - he has just turned 24 years old, and we have had him since a baby - we think he is wonderful.
Best wishes from Angie

Reactions: Ink

serendipity123

Leeds
He's acting normally and was exploring his outdoor enclosure in the sun. And he was grazing on clover and had done a poo.

But I feel so guilty and to wait til Monday for a vet appointment is too long

serendipity123

Leeds
Hello and welcome from Devon. Don't feel bad about this - most people get confronted with something they never anticipated with their first tortoise, I'm sure. If the area isn't bleeding, I suggest you wash it carefully with warm water,checking that there are no splinters in there, and dry with a paper towel, but perhaps don't let him go back in the hide until you have the liner in place. I think the scales will re-grow in time.
What is his name? We have a Hermanns tortoise too - Zola - he has just turned 24 years old, and we have had him since a baby - we think he is wonderful.
Best wishes from Angie

serendipity123

Leeds
Thank you zolasmum. He's called pickle. Vet doesn't know his age nor do the rescue centre I got him from. I feel especially bad as the rescue centre vetted me and checked out my enclosures before they trusted me with him.

Now this has happened.

I don't dare tell the rescue centre.

My baby has deformities already due to previous care before he came to the rescue. He has signs of previous pyramiding which has stopped.

His legs are really strong and the vet think and I think he's a happy tortoise.

Just need to get this sorted out. It's all been worth the money taking him to the vet as their advice is amazing.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Don't get upset - if Pickle is eating and pooing happily, he must be feeling ok.
Angie

Reactions: Ink

serendipity123

Leeds
Hope so. Trouble is I work and can't get the time off for a tortoise.

I could have gone sooner to the vets if it wasn't for work.

There's conflicting information online. Some people say they don't grow back other sources say they might.

I Hope it doesn't end up being a permanent deformity. That will give me a permanent reminder.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
It should grow back. It just takes a very long time. Welcome have all made mistakes. Try not to worry. If a scute already fell off, if might have been due to the previous owner. Is it raw underneath?

serendipity123

Leeds
I am worrying so so much.

Hopefully your right. And they might grow back.

Think he's gonna miss the newspaper.

But it's tough. Can't risk him doing that again.

serendipity123

Leeds
He seemed his usual self though. Whenever I enter his room. He comes running over to me.

The reason why is because I give him loads of shell rubs and he seems to really enjoy that. And he also associates me with food.

He kept running towards me, well to the edge of his enclosure. When I kept coming into his room to check on him.

He also spent some time on his outdoor enclosure. Slowly pacing around grazing on clover enjoying the warm sun.

He's actually eaten more today than any other day.

So I don't think it's bothering him.