Power Outage During Hurricane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, Florida
Does anyone have any suggestion on how to provide heat to a tortoise table if there is a power outage that last a couple days during a hurricane? The storm does not seem like it will hit my area dead on but I want to know just in case. I thought about a generator but you can't run one inside because they use gasoline as fuel and I am a broke college student so I cant afford one.

Any suggestion will be awesome. Thank you ahead of time!!

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
i don't know the english term but they are some black box with batterie in it that you place just before your equipement and if the power shut down, the batterie take on.
I don't know the autonomy of batterie but it could be a good help.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think Barb is right. Unless it gets cold, you're fine for a few days.

Julius25 said:
i don't know the english term but they are some black box with batterie in it that you place just before your equipement and if the power shut down, the batterie take on.
I don't know the autonomy of batterie but it could be a good help.

I think you're thinking of a UPS. Typically, they are used as a bridge from one power source to another. When you lose power from your utility, the UPS provides power until your backup generator kicks on or until you can do a controlled shutdown (save files). Depending on the load, most UPS are intended to supply power for anywhere from 90 seconds to an hour. Rarely longer.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I doubt your temps will get low enough to worry about harm to your tortoise. A few days without the high basking level heat or their lights will not harm them, they just will not be as active or eating like normal. If the temps will go dangerously low, you could place your tortoise inside a small box or plastic box with a wrapped hand warmer. Wrapping the boxes with towels will also help insulate the box.

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
Well the forecast says 88-93 Fahrenheit for the days the hurricane will be here. So hopefully there should be no issues. I guess I should worry about me suffocating in this heat with no ac lol

Ive never heard of this UPS Ill look it up.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
He will be fine. Take care... both of you.

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
Thank you everyone, I hope people in the Panhandle and Keys of FLorida and people in Louisiana will be ok.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If needed, you can also use hot water bottles. A five gallon jug will work fine for this. Since the water is heated by gas, a power failure won't affect it.

Also, you don't run a generator INSIDE your house silly. You run it outside and route the power in with extension cords or a junction box.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tom said:
If needed, you can also use hot water bottles. A five gallon jug will work fine for this. Since the water is heated by gas, a power failure won't affect it.

Some folks have electric water heaters.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
Our house is total electric with a well for water, so when we have a power outage we have no water period, hot or cold. It's not fun.:(

lazyroo

5 Year Member
I have used hot hands hand warmers to add warmth during power outages. I bought a large box at Costco. I think they were designed for hunters. I put them in a sock so there's less of a chance of leakage.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Those cheap little hand warmers come in real handy don't they. I wonder how the poster (and other members) are doing.

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
Safe to say me n all of the west coast of Florida is in the clear but east coast of Florida like Daytona n Jacksonville is getting hit with the larger and heavier band of cloud n rain. And once again Louisiana is the bulls eye target for this tropical storm.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
That's what I have been seeing. :( I think I worry more about bad weather heading towards our members in here, then when it comes to my own area. :D

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Here in Alabama, we're just going to get a lot of wind and rain...like we're not used to that. I still decided to bring Kobe inside in case there's any major flooding.

Status
Not open for further replies.