Power outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

volcom6981

5 Year Member
This may be a stupid question but with the hurricane heading my way I have a question. I do have a generator, but I really can't run it in the rain, so I'm just wondering if torts will be ok without a basking light for alittle bit?

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
Just keep them warm, that's the main thing. They can do without the UV lights for a while if needed. You can use hand warmers, body heat, or wrap the enclosure in towels/blankets/aluminum foil to keep the existing heat in. Just don't let them get damp and cool down. Stay safe!

volcom6981

5 Year Member
RosieRedfoot said:
Just keep them warm, that's the main thing. They can do without the UV lights for a while if needed. You can use hand warmers, body heat, or wrap the enclosure in towels/blankets/aluminum foil to keep the existing heat in. Just don't let them get damp and cool down. Stay safe!

Thanks yea this is going to get crazy here! Ill get the generator going as soon as possible, I'm just hoping it dosnt get too cold here. Everyone is in now and safe, now it's just a matter of getting through everything.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
volcom6981 said:
This may be a stupid question but with the hurricane heading my way I have a question. I do have a generator, but I really can't run it in the rain, so I'm just wondering if torts will be ok without a basking light for alittle bit?

Ya can always build a dog house or use a dog loo for your generator, just make sure you have good air intake and exhaust ( very easy to do) Rubbermaid/alike deck boxes work well too, when set up correctly.
Good luck and hope all goes well who live in the Storm Region .......
I dont know how you folks do it ....Be safe~

JD~:)

PS> Fun story ...... few years back I lost power ...no generator at the time ...eggs in the cooker .... I ran 2500 feet of cord to a laundry mat down the street who still had power ..... :p
" No Kidding " ....:D

volcom6981

5 Year Member
N2TORTS said:
Ya can always build a dog house or use a dog loo for your generator, just make sure you have good air intake and exhaust ( very easy to do) Rubbermaid/alike deck boxes work well too, when set up correctly.
Good luck and hope all goes well who live in the Storm Region .......
I dont know how you folks do it ....Be safe~

JD~:)

PS> Fun story ...... few years back I lost power ...no generator at the time ...eggs in the cooker .... I ran 2500 feet of cord to a laundry mat down the street who still had power ..... :p
" No Kidding " ....:D

Crazy! My generator is a pretty big one can handle over 6000 watts, but never thought about how to cover it. Weather has been crazy lately, they this hurricane is historic, um yikes! I'm prepared, but hoping its not to bad. Just hoping my torts do ok, and I don't get any flooding.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have a bunch of empty soda bottles and am filling them with hot water to put in the torts vivariums. I dug up my box turtles from their hibernation cave and put them in plastic tubs with leaves in the garage. I couldn't find Pi or Chewy....I hope they went to the high part of the cave....the waves are into the street now and I'm scared to death. The trees are blowing like crazy and we haven't reached the peak of the storm yet. I'm closing my computer soon as we will be losing power. Please pray for us as this is the worse I've seen here. And to everyone else....stay safe and God bless!!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
terryo said:
I have a bunch of empty soda bottles and am filling them with hot water to put in the torts vivariums. I dug up my box turtles from their hibernation cave and put them in plastic tubs with leaves in the garage. I couldn't find Pi or Chewy....I hope they went to the high part of the cave....the waves are into the street now and I'm scared to death. The trees are blowing like crazy and we haven't reached the peak of the storm yet. I'm closing my computer soon as we will be losing power. Please pray for us as this is the worse I've seen here. And to everyone else....stay safe and God bless!!
HAng in there kiddo! ,,,,,,:)

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
terryo said:

Good Luck Terry, and Everyone else. I was just outside, couldn't see the river (to dark) but I sure could hear it.I took all the banana trees down in the turtle pen leaving only the newest leaf attached, the boxies are still above ground but well protected, so they should be fine under the removed banana leaves and all the weeds I pulled and put in for them to bury under.

M

Maggie Cummings

Fill some jars with hot water then wrap a towel around it so the torts can't burn themselves and put them to sleep. The jars will keep them warm for a long time...good luck

volcom6981

5 Year Member
terryo said:

Yep it's getting crazy right now worst to come tomorrow. I'm just happy to have gotten everyone in, and took down all the loose stuff. Stay strong!

When u guys use hand warmers how do you do it, just put like 2 in the enclosure. Just curious?

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
terryo said:

Sending you positive vibes that all is ok! We are under a flood, high wind and lake shore erosion and flood warning... Lights have been flickering, I turned heat up to get house warm and toasty incase power goes out, let's hope this storm dies a quick death!

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Body heat sounds like a good way to keep a small one warm for a while. But if we're out of power for a few days something else will need to be done.

I'm on the eastern shore of MD and it's going to officially make landfall at 8 pm EST. I know the power will go out. My parents have a generator but we're not allowed to be on the road right now, so I'll have to ride it out. If the power's out when the roads are safe I'll just go over there.

Good luck to everyone caught in this.

Hantslad

5 Year Member
I've been following this on UK news all day. It really does look like a nasty storm. I am sending my very best wishes and love to all of you who are affected.

This may be a stupid suggestion, but if the house gets too cold, could you heat the car up and sit with them in the car for a while? I just figure with it being a smaller place it's more likely to get warmer fast and along with your body heat, may be enough to keep them topped up with heat.

My Tortoise loves my fleece coat which keeps him warm for hours.

I wish you all the very best.

Love from the UK!! xx

PS. Also you can buy a car power inverter, not sure if it will cope with a heat lamp, but it could be worth looking into if things get really bad?

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Good luck to all of you. I hope it is not as bad as forecasted and that you are all going to be well.

volcom6981

5 Year Member
Tortus said:
Body heat sounds like a good way to keep a small one warm for a while. But if we're out of power for a few days something else will need to be done.

I'm on the eastern shore of MD and it's going to officially make landfall at 8 pm EST. I know the power will go out. My parents have a generator but we're not allowed to be on the road right now, so I'll have to ride it out. If the power's out when the roads are safe I'll just go over there.

Good luck to everyone caught in this.

Problem is I could end up losing power for a week or more they said. I'm in PA so I'm in the same boat probably in an hour or so it's going to hit hard. Good luck it's going to be crazy.

mike1011

5 Year Member
Almost 6 pm and still have power! windows are taking a beating with stuff bouncing off screens. Not letting kids play by windows any more, getting a little nervous.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Keeping everyone impacted by Hurricane Sandy in our prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.