powersun+T5 HO

Jackyyyy

Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Ontario
Hi Everyone! I recently bought a new 48" tank and realize the powersun 160w is not giving enough light to the enclosure. Is it ok to use powersun and T5 HO lamps together? Is it put out too much uvb? What about the 10.0 uvb T8? Any thoughts are appreciated, thank you ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414527307.909500.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414527327.498840.jpg

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Too much uv can be bad on the eyes. Also, you should add a hide for your baby. Small plastic box with a hole cut out filled with moss.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually, we cant give them as much uvb as the sun gives off with just two lamps. However, you really don't need the extra uvb, so if it were me, I would use a regular, cheaper tube Florescent. Also, the uvb that you are giving, is being mostly blocked by the screen you have over the tank. Cut a hole, so there is nothing between the bulb and tort. You will also need to cover the whole top, in order for,the humidity to get to 80% with temps no lower then 80.

Jackyyyy

Toronto, Ontario
Actually, we cant give them as much uvb as the sun gives off with just two lamps. However, you really don't need the extra uvb, so if it were me, I would use a regular, cheaper tube Florescent. Also, the uvb that you are giving, is being mostly blocked by the screen you have over the tank. Cut a hole, so there is nothing between the bulb and tort. You will also need to cover the whole top, in order for,the humidity to get to 80% with temps no lower then 80.
I am planing to take out the screen top and cover everything except the lights in order to achieve the humidity. Just want to make sure two lights it's ok for them before I do it. Do you recommend to use zoomed reptisun LED instead of the T5 HO?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The way it is light now, looks like enough light. You still need to add night time heat, like a CHE. I would not do a LED. I think the T5.0 is good.

Jackyyyy

Toronto, Ontario
The way it is light now, looks like enough light. You still need to add night time heat, like a CHE. I would not do a LED. I think the T5.0 is good.
Yeah I do have a che, but my room temperature is around 80 already, that's why I am not using it. And it burns out humidity fast as well. Btw, do you think it's too much uvb now?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Only if they are too close for what is recommended on the actual bulbs Be sure the temps do not dip below 80 day and night with the high humidity, or you will have a sick tort.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Only a UV meter can answer this question, but yes, it is definitely possible to do too much and to do more than the sun, especially with an HO bulb 12" away. I would just use the MVB for heat, light and UV, and then use a regular florescent tube in the 6500K color range, or the regular 10.0. At that distance, through a screen, a regular 10.0 will be fine.

Your tortoise needs a hide and a different water bowl. Those water bowls are dangerous flip/drowning hazards.

Jackyyyy

Toronto, Ontario
Only a UV meter can answer this question, but yes, it is definitely possible to do too much and to do more than the sun, especially with an HO bulb 12" away. I would just use the MVB for heat, light and UV, and then use a regular florescent tube in the 6500K color range, or the regular 10.0. At that distance, through a screen, a regular 10.0 will be fine.

Your tortoise needs a hide and a different water bowl. Those water bowls are dangerous flip/drowning hazards.

lol I he's been using this bowl for a year with no problems. But I will replace it when I found a better one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
lol I he's been using this bowl for a year with no problems. But I will replace it when I found a better one.

We all make a big deal about this because one member found their tortoise upside down in that kind of bowl, and another member came home and found their tortoise upside down and dead in one of those bowls. We aren't trying to give you a hard time, but we don't want to see you, or anybody, come home and find their tortoise dead because of their water bowl choice.

If it were up to me, I'd remove that water bowl now, and soak him every day until you find a better one that you like.

Jackyyyy

Toronto, Ontario
We all make a big deal about this because one member found their tortoise upside down in that kind of bowl, and another member came home and found their tortoise upside down and dead in one of those bowls. We aren't trying to give you a hard time, but we don't want to see you, or anybody, come home and find their tortoise dead because of their water bowl choice.

If it were up to me, I'd remove that water bowl now, and soak him every day until you find a better one that you like.

Appreciated for your concerns, I'll move it now and get a new one tmr.

Jackyyyy

Toronto, Ontario

Regarding to the fluorescent tube 6500k, did you mean the ones in hardware store? Could you tell me the exactly model?