Pre-Beginner looking for info

el_ote

5 Year Member
hello. im looking at learning as much as I can before I get started in caring for a Hermanns. is there a specific thread I can get pointed to. id like to learn all the basics especially the enclosures.
thanks in advance

-e

el_ote

5 Year Member
thanks RST!
I read most of the thread. I skipped breeding since well I wont be anywhere near that level anytime soon. what I didnt see mentioned much was the care for the young indoors, along with how long/fast they will outgrow an indoor habitat. I read 3'x2' and also that a rubbermaid container should be used. fluorescence lights and a basking light. im still digging around the thread so I hope to find how others started off in the members threads. I would like to start with a young tort and the necessities.

el_ote

5 Year Member
my, thoughts/list post:

- 2x3x6" container/rubbermaid
- Hideaways
- 4" deep clean top soil & coco coir, or peat moss
- 2"cypress mulch on top of substrate
- 100-150 Watt Basking Light
- 10.0 UVB emitting Fluorescent bulb
- .5" water dish
- Cold frame treehouse (when larger tortoise)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

For the light/heat, if you buy a Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) you get the UVB plus heat all in one bulb. If you really want to go your way, then make sure you get a tube-type fluorescent, and not one of those spiral-shaped bulbs. Those are known to cause eye problems in tortoises.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Hi, And welcome to the Forum!

I don't think there's any ONE thread that tells you EVERYTHING ABOUT EVERYTHING in caring for Hermann's torts from birth to death. When i'm new at something and nervous about it, I want all the information I can get, quickly! But I just started reading all the different threads and learned as I went. It takes time, but it was really pretty easy. Learning this way, I actually changed my mind about which tort to get: I was originally going to get a Redfoot, but changed my mind to a Hermann's, and have been very happy with my Elsa!

Happy researching!!! :)

el_ote

5 Year Member
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

For the light/heat, if you buy a Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) you get the UVB plus heat all in one bulb. If you really want to go your way, then make sure you get a tube-type fluorescent, and not one of those spiral-shaped bulbs. Those are known to cause eye problems in tortoises.

thanks, I'll look into the MVB. being so new, I have no "my way" and just want to learn how others are doing it so I can pick from what they've done to make it work for me.
So the MVB bulb does both heat and uv?
And I can keep my tort in a rubber maid with the substrate mix and the light and some hideaways to start with?l love all the outdoor I've seen here , very creative !
thanks
-e

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ,USA . Where are you from ? How big are your Herrmann's are you getting a pair or a trio ? But to help you with the outside set up I'll include a pict to help ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417409320.275502.jpg don't forget Herrmans rule !

el_ote

5 Year Member
Hello Grandpa Turtle. im from San Jose, CA and am only looking for one tortoise as young and small as possible. im trying to find a species that stays the smallest. I like the hermanns a lot and have seen that russians keep small also, but not as small as the hermanns. I looked at my local craigslist and saw some iberas which I googled also stay about 8-10" . I have a fairly large patio at our apartment we never use which I can convert to an enclosure in the summertime once the hermanns outgrows the inside enclosure. really im trying to learn as much as possile to make the best decision of tortoise, enclosure, equipment, and food. thanks for the pic. they look great!!!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well ( I don't know your name ) but Egyptions are the smallest torts but they aren't for newbies and they cost a lot . But have you thought about pancakes they are very special . But you have to do the looking for your self there isn't anything I can do til you deside what you want . But torts are great in MY appinion . Have a great tort day !

el_ote

5 Year Member
lol... sorry about that. my names Elias. What may i call you? im looking up pancakes now... by golly thats a little out of my price range. I like the looks and can handle the punch of a hermanns. I really like the look of the hermanns and am fairly certain I will chose one so ill focus on learning their specific care. Right now im really reading as much as I can all over this forum.
thanks,
-e

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Elias
Everybody calls me grandpa I'll be 60 in a few months . As you can see in my Picts I like my Herrmanns and so will you I just want it to be your choice not mine and if you want change your mind we are still here to help you . And read all you can but nothing is better than real life .

el_ote

5 Year Member
Ok, so I followed Yvonne's thread on setting up an enclosure for a new baby tortoise. I have my Orchid bark (may have used too much since itll be so small), my MVB bulb as listed above, a rubbermaid, 2 clay pot dishes for food/water, a small clay pot for a hide. and I also have a basking platform and some Mazuri coming in to feed. have I missed anything? I sbould be getting my Hermanns early this week from Chris and am pretty sure I have things covered, but I want to ask to make sure I have my bases covered.
thanks
-e

edit: also have my temp at 95° under the light and 82° in the farthest corner. the humidity is high in my apartment I was surprised to find at about 70-80% always. the meter reads a low of 69° F. I plan on either a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) or a black heat light for night time heat, but I have to read up on them since I dont yet know the pros and cons of each. id probably not need one too strong if im only 70ish at night.

Last edited:

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
He's so cute!! Congrats!

If it stays at 70°f at the then he won't need a night heat. They need darkness like us for a healthy sleep cycle so a ceramic heat emitter is best.

Now besides the mazuri, you have a variety of fresh greens to offer first, right?

Everything sounds great so far! Make sure you soak your tort in warm water every day or other day.

el_ote

5 Year Member
thanks stinax182! my plan for tonight is to cover the enclosure at lights out. I have a CHE coming in but won't be here till friday. I still need to buy greens so im behind on that but will get some. im also planning on buying the dried mix bags as mentioned on hermannihaven.
the little guy got a luke warm soak before he went into the enclosure. just warm enough before it was cold to the touch.

thank you gingerbee!
I am definitely trying follow all the advice from here!