Newbie Supply List

Emptysea

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello. We are waiting on our Hermann Tortoise and need help with specific things we need. I know what I need but I don’t know specific brands or types. Ex. I know I need a basking light but wattage should I start with for a hatchling? I need a specific brand and details so I can purchase the correct one. Do I increase as he gets older? If so, how much do I increase? Same question for UVB. While I hope to make an outdoor enclosure and give my guy plenty of outdoor time, I still want a UVB light indoors. Do I get 24” UVB light? Is that enough?

What kind of bedding is best? Coco coir and top soil mixed, maybe? Or has anyone found a mixture that’s better for Hermanns?

Last question- I’ve seen a few websites that sell dried weeds? Are those any good? I live in the dessert so weeds may not be plentiful there.

Is there one website you’d recommend to purchase everything?

Thanks in advance ☺️

daniellenc

Maryland
I’m sorry no one answered but what you get depends on your cage. If you have that post it up to help us give you ideas. As far as substrate I like coconut coir covered in fine grade orchid bark or cypress mulch.

eternalnewb

5 Year Member
BC, Canada
Hi,
I have two Hermanns, one I came to me when he was around 2 years old and my second I got as a hatchling. As a basking bulb I use the ZooMed 100w bulb for all my torts, I usually get the two pack when they are on sale at Petsmart. I like the idea of the Powersun MVB, however I had a bad experience with one with my Russian tort when he was a hatchling. For Substrate I use peat moss, I buy it in a big bag at Home Depot and when moistened I really like it as a substrate. I have used coco coir before but I didn't like the stringy bits as they always seemed to be near my torts eyes.