light ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal,Quebec
I heard the coil type UVB lights are bad. I have one,,so I'm out to get the better one today..One question,,I have a regular basking light on the warm side and on the other side is the UVB light. It's a double light fixture hood for reptiles. anyways,I want to know if I should just put the mercury UVB bulb on the heated side and a lower heat bulb on the cooler side? Make sense?

or do I even need another light on the 'cooler' side at all? If I have the 1 100 watt mercury bulb on the warmer side,,wouldn't that be sufficient?

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
It makes sense, and you can do that, or you can get a tube style Flourescent UVB bulb.

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Montreal,Quebec
ok,so if I only have the uvb/heat on one end will that be sufficient uvb for him?? the other end I can leave nothing...

rfranklin

5 Year Member
What I use is a 150w Exo-terra Solar Glo bulb. Which is the heat and UVB. Its a mercury vapor bulb. And I have it on one end. And it seems to be working good. I am able to have a temperature variation througout my tortoise box (4x3ft).

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Montreal,Quebec
taking a picture of what I have to make things clearer,,the place I just went to in my town had NOTHING,,no UVB anything,,al UV. arggg..makes me mad that these lights are so hard to find,,will have to go further into downtown soon to look..but here's what I got in the meantime..on the left is the UVB coil light,output is 10. and right is the basking light. there use to be a tube light along the back but it's not working.
IMG_6057.jpg

IMG_6056.jpg

IMG_6055.jpg

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Beeliz said:
taking a picture of what I have to make things clearer,,the place I just went to in my town had NOTHING,,no UVB anything,,al UV. arggg..makes me mad that these lights are so hard to find,,will have to go further into downtown soon to look..but here's what I got in the meantime..on the left is the UVB coil light,output is 10. and right is the basking light. there use to be a tube light along the back but it's not working.

IMG_6055.jpg

I would not use a basking light like that. They are designed to focus the light/heat a particular way, which judging by the picture is aimed directly at the unused lamp holder. An MVB won't work in that arrangement either.

Have you had problems with your coil lamp?

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Montreal,Quebec
can I get a ceramic heat lamp and place it on top of the enclosure,,with a MVB?
no problems with the coil,,just that I have heard so much about them. I want to change the lighting system.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
In a different fixture?, yes. Not in the hood.

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Montreal,Quebec
So I replaced the light fixture with a double dome one..one is a UVB and the other is the basking heat .. very happy with it :))

Status
Not open for further replies.