Pre-hibernation behavior observations

Su G.

9985F552-498D-4D7B-9AB9-31C3BBC745BC.jpeg 4478B5B3-C40A-4865-AF2E-1019A1EB754F.jpeg 3FC4527B-E0A2-4D55-8397-C32969B63749.jpeg 0F7A9F89-32DA-48EA-B4C2-20715AEA94B9.jpeg 3DE122E3-E2FC-46B6-91DE-68D9645D371E.jpeg 28D1F15D-9CE8-4BF9-AF64-B5D7395F9B59.jpeg Mrs Green has stopped eating about a week ago after the temperature started dropping. It’s been a nervous week for me watching her roam the backyard constantly on an empty stomach. It feels as though she’s pacing. Sometimes I wonder if she feels like she’s dying or something. She’ll repeatedly want to come inside of the house and then back out. She’s been living in the toolshed shack outside all year by choice. Her prehibernation behavior has been very interesting to observe but I wonder what is going through her mind and it scares me especially when she doesn’t seem to not know whether if she wants to be inside or out of the house. Maybe she just wants to socialize as much as possible before she goes into hibernation. Idk but it’s been entertaining watching her move around so much. I’d think she was training for a race if I didn’t know any better. Thanks for the read and any thoughts on the matter.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Are you soaking her? I soak twice daily during the wind down for about 20 minutes each time.

What temperature do you have outside? Tortoises will gravitate towards known warmth, such as indoors, but Joe usually does very little in this period as outdoor temperatures will have cooled close to his hibernation temperature. The activity you have suggests it might still be quite warm

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum, @Su G.

Whereabouts do you live and what's the weather like now?

As loss in appetite; please note that torts do not like change. Therefore they take time to adapt to it. Patience is needed here.

Please read the so-called "Beginners Mistakes" Thread, and keep us updated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She may be looking for a safe place to sleep the winter away. What kind of protection/housing have you provided for her?

Su G.

Are you soaking her? I soak twice daily during the wind down for about 20 minutes each time.

What temperature do you have outside? Tortoises will gravitate towards known warmth, such as indoors, but Joe usually does very little in this period as outdoor temperatures will have cooled close to his hibernation temperature. The activity you have suggests it might still be quite warm

I’ve been soaking her only once a day. I’m kind of thinking the same as you regarding the temperature. Today it dropped another 5-10 degrees and I found her on her stoop this morning, chilling. She’s been a lot more vocal during her baths too which is super cute. I’ve noticed that she will be more willing to dunk her head in for a drink if I caress her head. Such intricate emotions. It’s been in the 80’s this past week, now it’s a in the 70’s. Will drop into the 60’s next week. These are high temps. It’s been warmer outside when she was doing the in and out thing so that makes sense. I knew it was the temp but it was counter intuitive for me to think she was looking for warmer weather. Thought she was looking for a colder place to hibernate. But yeah she’s moving extra super slow motion today.

Su G.

A very warm welcome to the forum, @Su G.

Whereabouts do you live and what's the weather like now?

As loss in appetite; please note that torts do not like change. Therefore they take time to adapt to it. Patience is needed here.

Please read the so-called "Beginners Mistakes" Thread, and keep us updated.
Sacramento CA. It’s in the mid 70’s now and will be in the 60’s next week.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
My Russian is quite the pacer when fall approaches. Last year was quite disturbing to me—I was still pretty new and she was just REALLY slamming it out against the (locked/barricaded) gate in the yard.

This year she paced less but also slowed down very fast after a cloudy spell. Couldn’t get her up again; when her weight dropped, she went into the fridge.

Su G.

She may be looking for a safe place to sleep the winter away. What kind of protection/housing have you provided for her?

I was wondering the same but the drop in temp today confirmed for me that she was looking for warmer weather. I cleaned out this shack and it’s been her home all year. She has several other options that are more natural but she has preferred the shack for the majority. She also spent last winter there. She’s protected pretty well in there. In the corner of the shack, there’s a metal cart with boxes on it for cover and there’s just enough room for her to walk underneath it.

Here’s a pic of how I found her this morning. 45531299-0FD7-4DA8-BCCC-0A74AE7009FE.jpeg

Su G.

My Russian is quite the pacer when fall approaches. Last year was quite disturbing to me—I was still pretty new and she was just REALLY slamming it out against the (locked/barricaded) gate in the yard.

This year she paced less but also slowed down very fast after a cloudy spell. Couldn’t get her up again; when her weight dropped, she went into the fridge.
I’m thinking they are trying to work out the last bits of food they have in them maybe?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I'm sure you're right, typical hibernation bahaviour, but isn't it a month or so early?
You know better than I.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Here in the UK we would regard 65F as pleasantly warm and my tort, Joe would be nowhere near hibernation.

Looking at our weather forecast, hibernation time here in Kent won't be until mid November.

Hibernation proper occurs at below 10C/50F and, until I see temperatures set to be steadily at that level or lower, I don't try to start hibernation.

Below 58F/14C persistently I will start to see a slow down

Su G.

To TD and JM: thanks for the input. Perhaps I will throw the heat lamp in there then for the next few weeks atleast. Just afraid to artificially speed up her metabolism and confuse her internal clock. I guess being hungry but at a warmer temperature is more important is what you both are saying?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
That's okay, I don't know the answer, just curious myself. I overwinter mine and she is a different species, so I'm not in the position to offer advice, as I said, others will know better than me, i was just asking if it were a little early to add to my own knowledge.
Sorry, not much help, just thinking it's still a bit warm where you are, but again, I don't know this species, hopefully someone will chip in who does.:)

Su G.

That's okay, I don't know the answer, just curious myself. I overwinter mine and she is a different species, so I'm not in the position to offer advice, as I said, others will know better than me, i was just asking if it were a little early to add to my own knowledge.
Sorry, not much help, just thinking it's still a bit warm where you are, but again, I don't know this species, hopefully someone will chip in who does.:)
Hey no worries! Just wanted to make sure you guys got my reply. Thanks anyways.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I’m thinking they are trying to work out the last bits of food they have in them maybe?
I really don’t know. At least this year I know it’s not completely weird! Last year I thought she was going to catapult over a wall!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Su G.

I really don’t know. At least this year I know it’s not completely weird! Last year I thought she was going to catapult over a wall!

Oh no! Haha that’s hilarious. I was thinking about how tough my tort’s nose was the other day. Glad to hear your gal is getting settled in.