Predator?

Rhondakay65

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
We live in Phoenix, and have a 10"-12" Desert Tortoise named Grace. Yesterday, we saw the strangest thing. A barn owl (which we see and hear occasionally at night, but never during the day) was in the back yard, on the ground, around Grace's den. We watched through the window to see what he was going to do, and after several minutes of curiously investigating, he went in. I couldn't take it, so I quickly ran outside and scared him away. My question, if anyone might have an answer... was the owl looking for a nice new place to live, or was he looking for dinner? Grace's den is an underground cave underneath an overturned wheelbarrow and lots of dirt and gravel on top, with an opening a little bigger than her. It's pretty deep and quite roomy on the inside. The owl had to scrunch down to get through the door. I'm just so curious as to what the heck we witnessed! Thanks in advance!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Interesting. There are some owls that den in the ground, but I didn't think barn owls did. Maybe he followed a mouse in there.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would be a little concerned that he might peck at your tort. However, if your tort was not in the den and that's where the owl went, then he might not have any interest in a tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We can only guess, but I'd guess that he saw mouse go down there too.

It is unlikely that a barn owl would harm a 10-12" tortoise, so no worries there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Or a lizard? I find lizards in my desert tort dens.

Most lizards are active during the day, while the owls are primarily hunting at night. There are a few night active species of desert lizard though… I suppose this is possible.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Most lizards are active during the day, while the owls are primarily hunting at night. There are a few night active species of desert lizard though… I suppose this is possible.

Yeah, what do you know about birds... you some sort of bird whisper??

Hehehehe

Reactions: Tom

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
We live in Phoenix, and have a 10"-12" Desert Tortoise named Grace. Yesterday, we saw the strangest thing. A barn owl (which we see and hear occasionally at night, but never during the day) was in the back yard, on the ground, around Grace's den. We watched through the window to see what he was going to do, and after several minutes of curiously investigating, he went in. I couldn't take it, so I quickly ran outside and scared him away. My question, if anyone might have an answer... was the owl looking for a nice new place to live, or was he looking for dinner? Grace's den is an underground cave underneath an overturned wheelbarrow and lots of dirt and gravel on top, with an opening a little bigger than her. It's pretty deep and quite roomy on the inside. The owl had to scrunch down to get through the door. I'm just so curious as to what the heck we witnessed! Thanks in advance!

Are you sure it was a barn owl and not a burrowing owl? Most owls are only active at night, whereas burrowing owls are active during the day. Also, most owls roost high in trees and burrowing owls will, like their name suggests, roost in the ground. Either way, as most people have said, your tortoise should be safe from being carried off, although he may find himself sharing a burrow : )

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I think I'd second or third the idea that the owl is looking for a smaller snack than a tortoise.

Rhondakay65

Phoenix, AZ
Are you sure it was a barn owl and not a burrowing owl? Most owls are only active at night, whereas burrowing owls are active during the day. Also, most owls roost high in trees and burrowing owls will, like their name suggests, roost in the ground. Either way, as most people have said, your tortoise should be safe from being carried off, although he may find himself sharing a burrow : )

100% sure it was a barn owl. Looked at photos, and there is no doubt. I did read that barn owls occasionally in caves and burrows. That's what I was thinking... they may be sharing an apartment!