Premature sulcata help!

waswondering

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
So I have a baby sulcata hatch right now and I think its premature even though it's the last in its clutch to be hatching. There are 2 things that are really weird. The first is it stared hatching 2 days ago and when I first saw the egg it looked like the egg had popped from pressure because the egg shell was blown out from the top of the egg. The second thing I noticed about it was how small the tortoise was and I believed it to be dead. The weird part is that I also noticed it was blue.... I didnt want to disturb it if it was still alive. So I left it in the incubator over night just to be safe. The next day I saw that he was alive but had made no progress getting out of the egg. Something I forgot to mention was the egg shell was bloody(another reason I think its premature) does anyone know why it would be blue? Is it just that it was going to be a blue tortoise? I know that's VARY unlikely but I cant think of anything else. I've attached a photo of the egg/the tortoise.20190906_222025.jpeg

waswondering

Arizona
Also I know it could be blue from a lack of oxygen which seems likely. However I dont think that should effect the color of the shell which is also slightly blue.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Also I know it could be blue from a lack of oxygen which seems likely. However I dont think that should effect the color of the shell which is also slightly blue.
Have you seen Blake's exotic animal ranches blue tort names avatar? He passed away after a few months but he looks similar to your tort. He could be fine if taken care of correctly. Blake's didn't have scutes like yours does. The blue is certainly a crazy coloring but if he does grow up to be healthy he would definitely be a cool tort to have around [emoji846] good luck. My boxie eggs started to hatch yesterday finally [emoji846] IMG_20190906_202100234.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just make sure all the membrane and shell is off his face and leave him alone. The color isn't worrisome as most of them look this way first out of the egg. But the very large yolk is worrisome. Leave him alone so the yolk can absorb. Good luck, I hope he's ok.

Sometimes if you've kept the incubator too moist the egg absorbs too much moisture and it causes the shell to crack/break before the baby has fully developed.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Just make sure all the membrane and shell is off his face and leave him alone. The color isn't worrisome as most of them look this way first out of the egg. But the very large yolk is worrisome. Leave him alone so the yolk can absorb. Good luck, I hope he's ok.

Sometimes if you've kept the incubator too moist the egg absorbs too much moisture and it causes the shell to crack/break before the baby has fully developed.
Oh yes I just learned that myself.. had a bad one explode also..