Preparing for a Greek Tortoise - General Questions!

EPIKE

Location (City and/or State)
New Bedford, MA
Hello Everyone!

I am a new user to the forums, and I am from New Bedford, MA. At the end of September, I am planning on adopting a Greek Tortoise (Testudo Graeca Ibera). I haven't ever owned a tortoise before, but want to make sure I'm going above and beyond in providing it the best life possible.

Over the past month, I have been reading a lot of forums on this website and watching a ton of videos (Particularly Garden State Tortoise and Kamp Kenan). Maybe I just have pre-tortoise having anxiety, but there's a bit of differing opinion on some topics or conflicting information that I wanted to ask about here and hopefully be more prepared.

---

1. With humidity being so important for hatchling tortoises, they should be about 3-4 inches before upgrading them into something like an Avituvin enclosure. What size should I start considering upgrading them to a larger, more permanent enclosure afterward? Are there any other factors that I should be being careful of changing in relation to their size?

2.) This sounds so stupid, but I just want to be careful! How regularly should they be eating? I understand that they're grazers, but also there is a risk of them becoming overweight. Is there a rule of thumb general to their size? I also have been looking at Kapidolo farms, but I'm not sure how much variety they need at what ages / sizes before ordering a bunch of greens.

3.) I keep seeing a lot of back and forth on whether they should have daily soaks, versus if you're keeping them in a humid enough environment they shouldn't need to be soaking. Is there such a thing as over-soaking them? Is there a range for the humidity to stay at relative to it's age / size?

4.) How much of the turtles day / night cycle is determined by temperature vs. light? Would something like a night light or computer screens cause it to stay active, or is entirely heat based?

---
If these are super stupid questions, or if I am violating any forum rules please let me know! I am currently a student at UMASS studying for sustainable food and farming, and became obsessed with the idea of keeping a tortoise in a perfect home where I can let it enjoy some of the (of course tortoise safe) plants that I grow as a hobbyist. Though as someone with generalized anxiety, the last thing I would ever want to do is think I'm doing the right thing and inadvertently cause them suffering.

Also, if there are any other channels, webpages, or books that the tortoise forum recommends I would love to have them! I have a few more months to prepare before the lil baby arrives. :)

Thank you!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello Everyone!

I am a new user to the forums, and I am from New Bedford, MA. At the end of September, I am planning on adopting a Greek Tortoise (Testudo Graeca Ibera). I haven't ever owned a tortoise before, but want to make sure I'm going above and beyond in providing it the best life possible.

Over the past month, I have been reading a lot of forums on this website and watching a ton of videos (Particularly Garden State Tortoise and Kamp Kenan). Maybe I just have pre-tortoise having anxiety, but there's a bit of differing opinion on some topics or conflicting information that I wanted to ask about here and hopefully be more prepared.

---

1. With humidity being so important for hatchling tortoises, they should be about 3-4 inches before upgrading them into something like an Avituvin enclosure. What size should I start considering upgrading them to a larger, more permanent enclosure afterward? Are there any other factors that I should be being careful of changing in relation to their size?

2.) This sounds so stupid, but I just want to be careful! How regularly should they be eating? I understand that they're grazers, but also there is a risk of them becoming overweight. Is there a rule of thumb general to their size? I also have been looking at Kapidolo farms, but I'm not sure how much variety they need at what ages / sizes before ordering a bunch of greens.

3.) I keep seeing a lot of back and forth on whether they should have daily soaks, versus if you're keeping them in a humid enough environment they shouldn't need to be soaking. Is there such a thing as over-soaking them? Is there a range for the humidity to stay at relative to it's age / size?

4.) How much of the turtles day / night cycle is determined by temperature vs. light? Would something like a night light or computer screens cause it to stay active, or is entirely heat based?

---
If these are super stupid questions, or if I am violating any forum rules please let me know! I am currently a student at UMASS studying for sustainable food and farming, and became obsessed with the idea of keeping a tortoise in a perfect home where I can let it enjoy some of the (of course tortoise safe) plants that I grow as a hobbyist. Though as someone with generalized anxiety, the last thing I would ever want to do is think I'm doing the right thing and inadvertently cause them suffering.

Also, if there are any other channels, webpages, or books that the tortoise forum recommends I would love to have them! I have a few more months to prepare before the lil baby arrives. :)

Thank you!!!
Hello and welcome. Most of the info found on the internet will be old incorrect info. Kenan is not a good source for info. Most of Chris's info is good, but he and I disagree on a few points.

1. Those Avituvin enclosures are not suitable for any tortoise at any age. They are too open for babies and much too small for babies. It is easiest to maintain the warm, humid, stable conditions that are best for babies with a large closed chamber. Adults are fine in a large open table as long as the room temp is within the range that they need.
2. They should eat as much as they want every day. Tortoises do not get fat when housed and fed correctly.
3. Babies should be soaked every day until they reach 100 grams. I start skipping days now and then after that. Its good to soak adults at least a couple of times per week. There is no such thing as over soaking. Dry conditions are survivable for tortoises of any size or age. Dry conditions with low humidity are not "good" for any tortoise of any age or size. Its good to maintain more humidity for a growing baby and at least moderate humidity for an adult.
4. Its mostly light. I've never tried to see what effect a computer green would have, but if they are asleep in their hide box, it shouldn't matter.

These are good questions. Totally reasonable. Here is the current and correct care info:

More questions are welcome.