prickly pear catcus

Jennica

My aunt just sent me a beautiful prickly pear cactus with roots and a cutting from Arizona. I live in Ohio. Can someone please give me feeding pointers? I have a small sulcata. 4.15oz small. Any advice on how to feed to my sully and care for this cactus would be greatly appreciated.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
If the pads are new growth (and tender), you can feed as is! I prefer to give all pads a quick spin or two in the food processor! Babies love the gruel!

Jennica

Can you slice and freeze? Its a large pad and i dont want to waste it. I potted the whole cactus and took a cutting to replant later.

Attachments

• 1402609919292.jpg
    1402609919292.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 45

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Freezing doesn't work, it will turn to mush. What I would do is cut small strips from the top of a pad as needed to feed, and go ahead and plant the cut off pad. I'm pretty sure that type of opuntia will not survive a winter in Ohio without some type of protection or moved inside. It should grow well outside during summer though.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Put it in a flower pot with some soil give it 4 oz of water every week but in the fall move it to the car port so it's in the dark and only give it a shot glass of water per week and you will get a very preaty flower in the spring

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Jennica

He loves it! I used my little kitchen chopped and sprinkled a little calcium in it.

Attachments

• 1402691442167.jpg
    1402691442167.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 46

Jennica

Thank you Aunt Caffy. He was started dry by the pet store so i am working hard to get him to where he needs to be. He even squeeked at me for the first time last night while i was petting his head.

DLEvergreen

Lubbock, Texas
I've read that prickly pears can be diced and served fresh to tortoises if they are spineless varieties/few glocchids. But to get rid of the oxalates, if you're worried about them building up, I imagine they could be microwaved/heated briefly before serving, as heat is supposed to break them down. As far as storing, more cold hardy cactus varieties may be able to be kept in a garage over the winter without rotting or turning to mush-- it works with the fruit for me-- I'm in zone 7-- about 0 degrees F is the lowest we usually get. If anyone is interested in buying small quantities of spineless prickly pear pads that are more cold hardy that can be fed to your tortoises, I sell small bulk packages of Opuntia Cacanapa (up to about 24 pads) for the lowest prices that I know of, at least on eBay. There are even more cold hardy varieties than this, but the pads are usually quite a bit smaller. Check out my profile on here or on ebay "dlevergreen." Or you can email me at [email protected] if you have any requests/questions (as I may not be on here that often).