Prickly pear - fruit or leafy green?

sugarandspikes

Location (City and/or State)
Quezon City
Hi! I have a redfoot tortoise, and I read that they like prickly pear cactuses. Is this considered a leafy green or a fruit? Don't want to accidentally overfeed it one category. Thank you!

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
The red/yellow fruit ‘prickly pear’ is just that, it’s a fruit. Technically a berry. For USA These are usually in season August or September-November.
If your referring to the green cactus pad (nopales) I Personally would not consider it a leafy green. Maybe some kind of other vegetable category.

sugarandspikes

Quezon City
The red/yellow fruit ‘prickly pear’ is just that, it’s a fruit. Technically a berry. For USA These are usually in season August or September-November.
If your referring to the green cactus pad (nopales) I Personally would not consider it a leafy green. Maybe some kind of other vegetable category.
Oh! yes you're right, I meant the pad. hehe. I read that redfoots should be fed an equal ratio of leafy greens and fruits. Would the pad fall under leafy greens then or fruit? huhu sorry I'm just really confused!

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
Oh! yes you're right, I meant the pad. hehe. I read that redfoots should be fed an equal ratio of leafy greens and fruits. Would the pad fall under leafy greens then or fruit? huhu sorry I'm just really confused!

cactus pad is definitely not fruit. Closer to leafy greens I suppose. But in my opinion still pretty far from leafy greens and closer to zucchini, cucumber or raw pumpkin. (Although technically those are all fruits too) haha.
I’m taking more about the texture and possible nutritional value of cactus compared to those.
To me leafy greens are lettuce, kale, spinach, Collard, carrot stalks, ext.

I’m a new redfoot owner as well So I’m still learning the diet, but i disagree that it should be equal amount of fruit and ‘Leafy’ greens. I like the ratio of 70% green (including flowers) 20% fruit 10% protein. With pellet about 2 times per week.

Maybe one of the experts will chime in soon on proper diet.

sugarandspikes

Quezon City
cactus pad is definitely not fruit. Closer to leafy greens I suppose. But in my opinion still pretty far from leafy greens and closer to zucchini, cucumber or raw pumpkin. (Although technically those are all fruits too) haha.
I’m taking more about the texture and possible nutritional value of cactus compared to those.
To me leafy greens are lettuce, kale, spinach, Collard, carrot stalks, ext.

I’m a new redfoot owner as well So I’m still learning the diet, but i disagree that it should be equal amount of fruit and ‘Leafy’ greens. I like the ratio of 70% green (including flowers) 20% fruit 10% protein. With pellet about 2 times per week.

Maybe one of the experts will chime in soon on proper diet.
Okay! Thank you so much! Yeah, I couldn't actually categorize it as fruit either. So it really did seem more like a vegetable. I just got so confused since the ratios are always talking about leafy greens, fruits, and protein, but then they have a category for vegetables which they didn't indicate in the ratio. Hehe. How often do you feed your tortoise? I feed them once in the morning, and then remove the leftovers after leave the plate. I read conflicting advice, so I would like to know what you recommend. Hehe. :) Good luck to us new redfoot owners!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Don't stress to much about percentages, you don't have to make it that difficult. Just feed a wide varied diet and don't feed the same thing all the time. My Redfoots get some greens/vegetables and fruit mixed together everyday. Feed your tort everyday as much as it wants to eat. Your tort should have food available all day.

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
Don't stress to much about percentages, you don't have to make it that difficult. Just feed a wide varied diet and don't feed the same thing all the time. My Redfoots get some greens/vegetables and fruit mixed together everyday. Feed your tort everyday as much as it wants to eat. Your tort should have food available all day.

Thanks that makes it easier.

I have a hard time finding a good variety of greens here. Really only 3 or 4. Hibiscus, passion fruit leaves, kangkun, and this other weed idk what it is but he likes it. Ill also give him Mushroom, mango, pear, pineapple, peas, Cooked squash or sweet potato, banana. And the occasional worm the cactus too but my little cactus plant is almost gone so I’m trying to let it grow. Haha

Okay! Thank you so much! Yeah, I couldn't actually categorize it as fruit either. So it really did seem more like a vegetable. I just got so confused since the ratios are always talking about leafy greens, fruits, and protein, but then they have a category for vegetables which they didn't indicate in the ratio. Hehe. How often do you feed your tortoise? I feed them once in the morning, and then remove the leftovers after leave the plate. I read conflicting advice, so I would like to know what you recommend. Hehe. :) Good luck to us new redfoot owners!

I feed him in the morning And make sure there is some left over when he’s done. Usually After he’s done eating he goes back to hiding. Some times he will come out later and finish the food. If it’s still there by about 15:00 I know he’s not gonna finish it so I take it away. After his evening bath I’ll give a small amount of fruit or something sweet-ish then he’s off to bed.
They are curious animals. A little strange but cute and fun. Good luck.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Opuntia cactus pads are one of the highest foods in calcium content that you can find. It also contains a great amount of fiber - unlike "vegetables". So it really does not fall well into the vegetable category. I agree - don't worry about categories, just continue to look for variety. Opuntia pads are a good food item as a good part of a tortoise diet in addition to the fruits (for redfoot) and vegetables.

sugarandspikes

Quezon City

Whew! Thank you, that does relieve me that I can partly disregard the percentages. Much easier to think in terms of variety. ? And yes, will now leave food out. Thank you so much @Toddrickfl1! My tortoises thank you. :)

sugarandspikes

Quezon City
Thanks that makes it easier.

I have a hard time finding a good variety of greens here. Really only 3 or 4. Hibiscus, passion fruit leaves, kangkun, and this other weed idk what it is but he likes it. Ill also give him Mushroom, mango, pear, pineapple, peas, Cooked squash or sweet potato, banana. And the occasional worm the cactus too but my little cactus plant is almost gone so I’m trying to let it grow. Haha

I feed him in the morning And make sure there is some left over when he’s done. Usually After he’s done eating he goes back to hiding. Some times he will come out later and finish the food. If it’s still there by about 15:00 I know he’s not gonna finish it so I take it away. After his evening bath I’ll give a small amount of fruit or something sweet-ish then he’s off to bed.
They are curious animals. A little strange but cute and fun. Good luck.
You're so lucky your tortoises eat the worm! Mine just ignored them, so I'm hoping the cuttlebone will entice them. ? Okay, will definitely stop removing the leftover. Was a bit concerned because they wouldn't eat as much of the food that I put out, and would seem to enjoy eating in the afternoons too. Oh! And he gets his bath in the evening? Is that his only bath or does he get soaked in the day too? :)

sugarandspikes

Quezon City
Variety is important.
Percentages are not.
Redfoot can eat a diet heavily consisting of fruit. Some days I just feed fruit. Some days just Mazuri. But don't let any one food become a regular item.
Mix it up.
Thank you! Will definitely mix it up. I alternate between leafy greens, fruits, and then Mazuri or cat food once a week. Hoping my tortoises will start liking Mazuri though, because that's how I plan to sneak in calcium. Hehe. They didn't care much for it the last time I fed them Mazuri, but I'll keep trying!

sugarandspikes

Quezon City
Opuntia cactus pads are one of the highest foods in calcium content that you can find. It also contains a great amount of fiber - unlike "vegetables". So it really does not fall well into the vegetable category. I agree - don't worry about categories, just continue to look for variety. Opuntia pads are a good food item as a good part of a tortoise diet in addition to the fruits (for redfoot) and vegetables.
That's so great that opuntia cactus is that nutritious for them! I stocked up on a lot, and thankfully they really enjoy the pads when I lay it out. Hehe. :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you! Will definitely mix it up. I alternate between leafy greens, fruits, and then Mazuri or cat food once a week. Hoping my tortoises will start liking Mazuri though, because that's how I plan to sneak in calcium. Hehe. They didn't care much for it the last time I fed them Mazuri, but I'll keep trying!
Do you have Mazuri LS or Mazuri 5M21?
The LS type is easier to find but not as well liked by mist tortoises.
My Redfoot go crazy for Mazuri 5M21

sugarandspikes

Quezon City
Do you have Mazuri LS or Mazuri 5M21?
The LS type is easier to find but not as well liked by mist tortoises.
My Redfoot go crazy for Mazuri 5M21

The seller I bought them from repacked it without the label, but I think mine is the 5M21, just based on the size. Maybe it just takes some getting used to. Hopefully! Hehe :)

DJ Kirk

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
. I like the ratio of 70% green (including flowers) 20% fruit 10% protein.

10% protein a week? Pure protein? Like meat?
If pure protein that's waaaaay too much... should be little bit of protein per month like one serving of high protein catfood a month

and you should feed them more than 20% fruit/week - vary the fruit but it should be 50/50 with leafy greens