Prickly Pear?

Daniel Freel

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Just purchased 2 of the cactus today. They were labeled prickly pear. Just want to
A) Verify that's what they really are.
B) Are these safe for my sulcatas to eat?20160503_151413-1.jpg

Daniel Freel

5 Year Member
New Jersey
I have seen spineless prickly pear cactus but I'm not sure about the plant I have is it ok for my sulcatas?

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I would not. At the least, you would want to remove the hairs (I use a torch for this). They may hide irritating glochids, or be irritating themselves.

Daniel Freel

5 Year Member
New Jersey
I would not. At the least, you would want to remove the hairs (I use a torch for this). They may hide irritating glochids, or be irritating themselves.
Yeah I'm not going to chance it..I just ordered 15 pounds of spineless prickly pear cactus pads (napole opuntia ficus indica) and I will plant those pads to grow for my sulcatas to eat...they are the correct ones for my sulcatas to eat right?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah I'm not going to chance it..I just ordered 15 pounds of spineless prickly pear cactus pads (napole opuntia ficus indica) and I will plant those pads to grow for my sulcatas to eat...they are the correct ones for my sulcatas to eat right?

This is a much better plan. Yes, this is the right type.

There are many varieties of spineless opuntia. I have 12 different types at my ranch.

Be careful about feeding any plant that has been bought from a store or nursery. They grow them with soil that contains systemic pesticides. The plants take up the toxins into their growing tissues and this keeps them looking nice and bug fee for market. It can take a year for them to be safe to feed.

Daniel Freel

5 Year Member
New Jersey
This is a much better plan. Yes, this is the right type.

There are many varieties of spineless opuntia. I have 12 different types at my ranch.

Be careful about feeding any plant that has been bought from a store or nursery. They grow them with soil that contains systemic pesticides. The plants take up the toxins into their growing tissues and this keeps them looking nice and bug fee for market. It can take a year for them to be safe to feed.
I ordered them from a person in Texas that grows them outdoors all organically just for that reason.