Probably asked alot.. but...

JonnyMN

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
I live in MN, me and wife have a baby sulcata and are nervous about what to do when he gets big. Keeping him in an indoor enclosure for half the year requires a lot of space i am guessing. My question is would a 500 square foot enclosure/shed be big enough for a full grown sulcata ?
Thanks for reading! It's my first post lol :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think more along the lines of 1000 square feet, or even the whole back yard. Then you 'd need a heated shed for winter. But it doesn't need to be that big because the tortoise will come and go outside even in the cold weather. Here's turtulas-len's sulcata, Walker, going out of his shed into the snow:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/a-little-snow-and-cold-temps.150659/#post-1437660

My sister up in Oregon had a pretty large shed for her sulcata, Bob, but he also went outside. However, she did block him in on real cold days:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/bobs-shed.20710/

JonnyMN

Minnesota
Thanks for replying Yvonne, I checked out your sisters set up and it looks pretty cool. Mine is still a wee little baby so I have some time before we get constructing. I'll try to post some pics of his setup when I'm off work :p I want to make him a nice little man/woman cave for the winter months.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in MN, me and wife have a baby sulcata and are nervous about what to do when he gets big. Keeping him in an indoor enclosure for half the year requires a lot of space i am guessing. My question is would a 500 square foot enclosure/shed be big enough for a full grown sulcata ?
Thanks for reading! It's my first post lol :p

Most people realize the impracticality of keeping a giant tropical reptile in a climate like that and ship them somewhere warmer.

It can be done, but its not cheap or easy. I wouldn't do it.

JonnyMN

Minnesota
Thanks for the input tom! I do realize the time/ and money that would go into it, but it is doable correct? and money is not necessarily an issue. I guess the ultimate question would be can I do this in Minnesota and still keep a happy/healthy tortoise? Me and my wife cannot have kids so it would be our "child" you could say. Thanks again everyone!

Bee62

Germany
Hello @JonnyMN
If the money you must spend is no problem and you and your wife love your tort, I would say: Why not.
I live in Germany and the weather is not ideal for keeping a tropical tortoise. But I got 3 sully babies and
when they get bigger they get their own room ( s ) in a renovated, heated barn.
I know it will not be cheap to keep 3 big tortoises but money is not the problem.
So from my point of viev I would say "Do it when your heart says yes".

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the input tom! I do realize the time/ and money that would go into it, but it is doable correct? and money is not necessarily an issue. I guess the ultimate question would be can I do this in Minnesota and still keep a happy/healthy tortoise? Me and my wife cannot have kids so it would be our "child" you could say. Thanks again everyone!

This is all just personal opinion and personal preference…

If money were not an issue and I wanted to keep sulcatas somewhere with frozen winters, I would build a large warehouse that was heavily insulated and had heated floors and industrial temperature controls. Then I'd invest in all sorts of lighting, including those new plasma bulbs that zoos are using now. It would have to be 50x50' or 100x50', or something large like that for me to feel okay about keeping a 100+ pound tortoise in it for 7+ months of every year.

I would not feel comfortable with a shed, normal bedroom or tortoise box. These tortoises need room to move. In AZ, CA, parts of TX, FL etc… These tortoises live outside and walk around all winter long in the sunshine in their large pens. I get antsy if we have more than two or there cold rainy winter days because my tortoises choose to spend most of the day inside the little box. I can't imagine cooping one of them up in a little space for weeks or months. Its just not for me. If someone else wants to do it that way, well… that is their thing.

This should not be mistaken for an attack or insult on anyone. I'm just answering the question and sharing my views on the matter. I don't think a tortoise that is cooped up in a little shed for months on end is "happy" or healthy. I think a tortoise with a large enclosure walking around in warm sunshine in January is "happy" and healthy.

Is it "doable"? Yes. Do most people do it in a way that I would find acceptable? No.