soft belly, sleeping alot

Emily Contreras

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I have a 1-2 week old baby sulcata.. I noticed he is sleeping alot under his basking light... He stopped eating alot.. I soak him every single day.. He has an inside enclosure because arizona gets up to 100 degrees.. So i dont want an outside enclosure till he gets older.. Any suggestions to get him to be more lively? His humidity is good, his tank is fine,. He has a underground hide in his tank and access to food and water at all times. Im scared. I don't want anything to be wrong with him..

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Georgia
Do you sprinkle calcium powder on his food? If you make him a outdoor enclosure he would be fine as long as it has chicken wire over the top of it so no birds can snatch him. Just provide shade in the outdoor enclosure.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
Also what are you feeding him and when was the last time he ate
Nevermind! I decided to give him some outside time and he LOVED IT! he pooped, ran around, ate even! I am going to make this a daily thing! When I put him back in his enclosure, he ran around and ate more! Im so happy rightnow!

Emily Contreras

Arizona
Do you sprinkle calcium powder on his food? If you make him a outdoor enclosure he would be fine as long as it has chicken wire over the top of it so no birds can snatch him. Just provide shade in the outdoor enclosure.
Birds aren't my only problem, I have a very, very, VERY active doberman that doesn't EVER want to come inside.. I dont know how she'd react to a baby tortoise.. And its much too hot.

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Georgia
I have a lot of raccoons and opossums. I have a electric fence going around the perimeter of the enclosure. I am glad your tortoise is ok!

Emily Contreras

Arizona
I have a lot of raccoons and opossums. I have a electric fence going around the perimeter of the enclosure. I am glad your tortoise is ok!
Thank you! And dang, I know how annoying those raccoons are.. The only problem in arizona is those feral cats and hawks.. The cats im not very worried about, my dog and the hawks is what i am scared about, soon, we will make something for him outside. sadly, we dont have grass, but i'll be sure to plant him a patch of it in his outside enclosure when he gets it.

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Georgia
Thank you! And dang, I know how annoying those raccoons are.. The only problem in arizona is those feral cats and hawks.. The cats im not very worried about, my dog and the hawks is what i am scared about, soon, we will make something for him outside. sadly, we dont have grass, but i'll be sure to plant him a patch of it in his outside enclosure when he gets it.

You can also plant lots of spineless cactus around the outside of the enclosure, and some hibiscus. Sulcata’s love hibiscus and spineless cactus!

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Georgia
You can pick up a electric fence kit at your local hardware store for cheap and just make a chicken wire door over the top of the outdoor enclosure. Just make sure to reinforce the chicken wire with wood.

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Georgia
Because you have a baby Sulcata I would rinse the flowers with water before you feed them to him/her