Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
I'm not so sure it's crypto, no vomiting, no regurgitation, no bloody stools, so I am going to Cary on with flagyl for a few days.. Will keep you posted.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Crypto is a very tricky tortoise disease. The symptoms can be different for each species of tortoise and even a bit different within a group of the same species. One thing I do not understand is why is it so easily treated and eradicated in mammals, but in reptiles there is no cure and no treatment. This makes no sense. I talked to a vet at the Baltimore zoo who studied and worked on this disease for 6-7 years. Of the vets I talked to, this guy was supposed to be the expert. He confirmed that there is no known treatment and that it is very contagious. He explained that it is transmitted by contact with the oocyte infected fecal material. He also explained that flies in a room can spread it from enclosure to enclosure.

If I were you I would send this animal back and not ever get another one from this source. The longer it is around the greater chance of infecting all your other tortoises. When it jumps species, the symptoms may worsen to include death. If it can not be cured, what you have there is a little disease carrier. Just a question of time until it spreads, IF that is in fact what you have going on there. Often fecals do not show it either. There is an expensive gastric lavage technique to try to diagnose it, but necropsy is the only reliable way to know for sure.

Also bleach and hot soapy water will not guarantee disinfection of an enclosure. Apparently a 5-10% ammonia solution will.

Katherine

5 Year Member
I agree with Tom and also while I can appreciate your frustration with the breeder/dealer/whomever you got the tortoise from I think it is important you be upfront with them. As a breeder myself I would be devastated if an animal that came from me was doing poorly and would definitely want to know if it were ill. By being honest and forthcoming with them you are allowing them the opportunity to inspect their own herd and hopefully improve their standards; I know I am giving the extreme benefit of the doubt here but perhaps they are unaware of any health problems and you could be doing ALL of their torts a favor by raising a redflag and returning this one. While I know some people breed animals strictly for financial gain I have met very few breeders who do not genuinely love and want the best for their animals. I also agree with Tom about not getting another animal from this source. You aren't doing yourself or the source and favors by supporting the sale/breeding of ill animals.

In my opinion many things (crypto being one but def not the only one) could be making this animal fail to thrive.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I have explained to the breeder,but I am keeping her, I can't give up on her, she is contained. But I refuse to give up...

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
My tortoise was very sick for around 2.5 months with RI, had many antibiotics injections. Then I found this online and tried it, used half bottle and he's seems ok now. Not sure if this is the cure or he was recovering, but worth a try.
I wrote to Elliot, advised me to double dosage. She was helpful! Good luck.

http://www.reptaid.com/administerTORTS.html

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
Can try writing to her, it's for parasites too. If u don't want to give up on your tortoise it's worth asking/trying.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Sammy said:
Can try writing to her, it's for parasites too. If u don't want to give up on your tortoise it's worth asking/trying.

Will do thanks.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.