problems with vitamins !

Status
Not open for further replies.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago IL
I try to feed my hatchling vitamins at least once or twice a week and the past couple days she sticks up her nose to food with any type of vitamins in it. I tried to dust worms and she wouldn't eat it , I tried to sneak it in her food today and she wouldn't eat it .. any suggestions on how to sneak in the vitamins ?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have seen many suggestions about putting it in something that is like bite size....some folks hide in a strawberry....wrapped in goodies so they eat it before they realize it??? Good luck, they are smarties about that stuff for sure :D

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
mine also put up their noses, im sure it doesnt taste very good just try to cover it up in something they LOVE like strawberry and etc ive also dusted a worm once their wet skin obsorbs it easily and my guys who may be able to resist a cricket CANNOT and WILL NOT resist a worm so help me God LOL

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You might be using to much, and it could affect the taste/smell. Try less and see if that helps.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Thanks for the suggestions . The only bad part is my hatchling will not eat any vegetables at all ! She seems to be scared of crickets and she stuck up her nose to the dusted worms!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It sounds like you need to get the hatchlings eating and then go for vitamins once firm favourite foods are established!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I don't give any vit. to my hatchlings either. When they are about a year old, I'll dust some of the worms...sometimes...not often

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
If you are doing a good overall diet, you should not need a lot of vitamins. We use them as insurance to make sure that nothing important is missing the diet- but we try hard to make sure there is nothing missing in the first place.

If you are using only a little once in a while, you can also dissolve some in a little water and drizzle it on the food.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Madkins007 said:
If you are doing a good overall diet, you should not need a lot of vitamins. We use them as insurance to make sure that nothing important is missing the diet- but we try hard to make sure there is nothing missing in the first place.

If you are using only a little once in a while, you can also dissolve some in a little water and drizzle it on the food.

thanks ! thats a really good idea. could I even put a little into the water that she soaks in ?

turtlemann2 said:
i meant garden worms not mealies : )

i havent given her mealworms yet, i gave her small (about 1/4 inch) gut loaded worms (some kind of larva that they called repti-worms) . I am going to the reptile expo tomorrow so I am going to try to load up on a variety of different worms for her . Are there any worms that turtles shouldn't eat ??

terryo said:
I don't give any vit. to my hatchlings either. When they are about a year old, I'll dust some of the worms...sometimes...not often

Very good to know ! I just didnt want her to be missing anything because she pretty much only eats meat (and maybe a little veggie when she accidentally bites it !)

Status
Not open for further replies.