Prolapse

Markp

Hello i have a sick tort but is on the mend at the minute.the only issue is that today i noticed something coming oit of its tail.after searching the net i think she has a prolapse ive booked her inro the vets but any advice or comments are welcome
Thanks

Linhdan Nguyen

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Can you provide pictures ? Dont let the area dry out. What kind of tortoise is it ? And when is the vet appointment ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it comes out and goes back in its not a prolapse. If it comes out and the tort can't get it back in then is is a prolapse and you can make a paste of sugar to put on it. Sometimes it will get the swelling down enough it will go back in. Also keep it wet/moist if it doesn't go back in

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I would first try to keep him in a warm soak and keep it warm. This could help him bring it back in. Don't let it get dry and keep us updated if it stays out.

Markp

Can you provide pictures ? Dont let the area dry out. What kind of tortoise is it ? And when is the vet appointment ?
Its a horsefield the enclosure is temporary at the moment please so my other thread for further pictures
1495904960548294588612.jpg

Markp

If it comes out and goes back in its not a prolapse. If it comes out and the tort can get it back in then is is a prolapse and you can make a paste of sugar to put on it. Sometimes it will get the swelling down enough it will go back in. Also keep it wet/moist if it doesn't go back in
Sugar paste ? Shall i place it on the prolapse look at my picture to iv posted thanks

zovick

10 Year Member!
It appears to be the tip of the penis rather than a prolapsed cloaca. Have you observed this organ being more fully extended? Does the tortoise pull it back in if you touch it or its tail? Did you notice this while soaking the tortoise? Males frequently evert their penises while soaking.

Markp

It appears to be the tip of the penis rather than a prolapsed cloaca. Have you observed this organ being more fully extended? Does the tortoise pull it back in if you touch it or its tail? Did you notice this while soaking the tortoise? Males frequently evert their penises while soaking.
I thought this at first but vet said its a girl plus it does look like theres poo in too and that when it seems to wanna poo it bulges oit and then bleeds

zovick

10 Year Member!
I thought this at first but vet said its a girl plus it does look like theres poo in too and that when it seems to wanna poo it bulges oit and then bleeds

The vet could be mistaken about the sex of your tortoise. Many male tortoises use their penis to "push" fecal material out of the cloaca, and that is what it seems that you are describing, plus the tail doesn't look like that of a female unless it is the photo angle. However, either way, I recommend soaking that tortoise in fairly warm water for about 30-45 minutes to see if you can get it to pass a bowel movement. If it is straining that much to go that it is causing bleeding, you will need to get it to pass the BM at home or else take it to the vet and let him give it an enema with mineral oil and/or warm water.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
The tail looks too long to be a girl.. can we get a full plastron photo of you tortoise with the tail in view?
The female russian I have have short stubby tails. not long and slender like yours.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
ThorsfieldiiFCT3.jpg
female
upload_2017-5-27_14-40-11.jpeg male

The male tail is long and skinny, it is wrapping toward the right leg.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Forgot to say above that you should soak it for about a half hour every 4-6 hours this weekend until it goes to the bathroom since you probably cannot get to a qualified reptile vet until Tuesday. If it does go, you will most likely not need the vet visit.

How long have you had this tortoise? Does it eat a good amount? Is it still eating now?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your vet is mistaken, probably because of the flat bottom shell. He's evidently not well-versed in tortoise physiology. You have a male tortoise and you are seeing the tip of the penis. Not a big deal unless he can't pull it back in.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your vet is mistaken, probably because of the flat bottom shell. He's evidently not well-versed in tortoise physiology. You have a male tortoise and you are seeing the tip of the penis. Not a big deal unless he can't pull it back in.
I agree!

Markp

Unfortunately our tort has just past away.today she/he has been so active and i was just about to feed her and noticed that she was all limp.
Thanks so much for all your advice and support

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Just looked at your initial post and picture if the "prolapse". It looks very dark for the penis, too dark... but I was assuming this was just poor lighting making it look so dark... if that was a true color of the sticking out part than this could have been a piece of necrotic bowel... which would explain the dark coloration.... again, I am so so sorry

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, so very sorry to come back from the weekend to see your tort had passed. So very sorry. Did the "prolapse" ever go back in? Did you ever get it to a vet or able to try the sugar paste? Again, so very sorry