Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Last night when I was closing up all the tortoise sheds I saw a poop laying next to the YF that this thread is about (Vet removed the stitches several days ago). I brought it (the poop) in the house and washed it and this is what was left:

YFrocks.jpg

The smudge in the upper left corner is sand. (Damn I wish I could take good close-up shots!)

I could swear that there are no rocks in the baby YF pen, but it looks like I was way off base. Here's where I keep the young YF tortoises:

YFpen.jpg

You can't really see it, but there's a cement stepping stone in the center of all that grass and I feed them on that. So, I took a close-up shot of the dirt and its amazing how many rocks there are when you get down to ground level:

YFdirt.jpg

Looks like I'm going to have to import some good dirt before I can put the tortoises back out there. What makes them eat rocks, I really don't know. I feed them every day.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
lacking something? boredom?
Im trying to think of something clever to say about pooping out money.. ( i know you just put it there for size) but brain dead this morning...:)

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Here's some photos of the different sexes I took about 2 months ago for a "sexing" page I have been slowly working on.... These are the yellowfoot ones. They're one of the more difficult ones to sex, but the males do have slightly longer tails (although still short), and they have more of a concave than females (although females usually have a little concave also). I think redfoots are significantly easier than yellowfoots to sex. Here's some examples:

yellowfootpairtails.jpg

yellowfootmaletail.jpg

yellowfootmaleconcave.jpg

yellowfootfemaletail.jpg

yellowfootfemaleconcave.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Wow yvonne I thought the YF was gonna start paying off for you. They will find rocks in the dirt if they are digging for worms and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.