Prolapse??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkling

5 Year Member
I posted here another thread a few days ago about my tortoise getting sick with RI. We went to see a vet who gave Lilly antibiotics. The second day the she started to urinate small puddles and the urine smells really strongly. So the vet changed the antibiotics and said it should be alright now. Also, that's what started to show up from tortoise's rear. It goes outside and then the tort extracts it in. I've read about prolapse but not sure if that's it.. and if so, what should I do next? Could it be from antibiotics? I'm going to visit the vet tomorrow again, but maybe someone could look at the pics and help.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    278.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 2l.JPG
    2l.JPG
    298 KB · Views: 178
  • 3l.JPG
    3l.JPG
    349.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 4l.JPG
    4l.JPG
    249.6 KB · Views: 180

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That looks like you have a male.

Why he's choose to expose himself during this treatment, I don't know. Could be just a coincidence. As long as its fully retracting each time, he should be okay.

mikeh

5 Year Member
How is he doing? Is this a vet that specializes in reptiles??? The fact that he had to switch antibiotics just after one day and now his penis is coming out would make me uneasy. Has his penis ever come out before? Like Tom says could be just a coincidence.
What were the first antibiotics and what was the switch made to? Where are the antibiotics being injected??

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is only considered a 'prolapse' if it comes out and stays out. As long as it goes back inside you should be ok.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Apparently, his turn-ons include broad-leaf weeds, long walks on the steppe, and antibiotics.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
Baoh said:
Apparently, his turn-ons include broad-leaf weeds, long walks on the steppe, and antibiotics.

Those antibiotics... Get me every time, I cannot lie.

mikeh

5 Year Member
This tortoise passed away. While everyone was making fun of the penis the tort was suffering from kidney and/or liver problems from antibiotics causing the penis to push out.

When one event happens alone it may be a coincidence, when two or more happen at the same time it most likely is not.

Forgive me, but I find some posts in this thread thoughtless.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Forgiven.

How did you determine the antibiotics were the source of the (possible) kidney and/or liver problems when you type it as undefined as requiring "and/or" in the pathology?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Prolapse??

Baoh said:
Forgiven.

How did you determine the antibiotics were the source of the (possible) kidney and/or liver problems when you type it as undefined as requiring "and/or" in the pathology?

You don't think its pretty clear from reading her other thread?

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I just read her other thread. I did not realize she had another one. I feel so bad this happened. :(

sparkling

5 Year Member
I think mikeh is right. She just changed radically overnight after her first shot of antibiotics and, although I am far from expert, I don't think it was a coincidence. I was strongly hoping all your comments were true and that was just flashing.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Do you know where were the first set of injections administered?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
mikeh said:
Baoh said:
Forgiven.

Did I read her other thread?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Prolapse??

Baoh said:
mikeh said:
Baoh said:
Forgiven.

Did I read her other thread?

I don't know, I was asking you.

We have just learned that vet was injecting Baytril into tortoises rear legs. This is what likely caused organ failure and death. Anyone reading this, please take a note and never allow baytril being administered into rear legs of a turtle/tortoise. Ideally baytril injections should be spaced to semi daily to aid metabolizing the antibiotic between injections and reduce toxicity. 10 injections over 20 day period. It should be administered JUST UNDER THE SKIN in a cavity between front legs and neck, closer to the leg. As baytril in a painful injection sides should be alternated for each injection.

I am sorry this torts had to pay with its life due to vets lack knowledge.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I am very sorry to hear that you never mention that he was on antibiotics.
very sorry for your lost

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
It wasn't his loss; it was the OP (Original poster).
SANDRA_MEISSNEST said:
I am very sorry to hear that you never mention that he was on antibiotics.
very sorry for your lost

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.