Promote a "good" shed?

Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
any tips to help RES promote a "good" shed... besides "basking"?
My smaller turtle doesn't seem to "shed" much... his shell is "dingy" cloudy colored like he needs to get some layers off... the larger female shell seems to shed, as she doesn't have that color and I find larger pieces of shell every so often when cleaning the tank. (2 year old turts)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
any tips to help RES promote a "good" shed... besides "basking"?
My smaller turtle doesn't seem to "shed" much... his shell is "dingy" cloudy colored like he needs to get some layers off... the larger female shell seems to shed, as she doesn't have that color and I find larger pieces of shell every so often when cleaning the tank. (2 year old turts)
I find captive turtles often do not shed their first two years. With diet and UVB exposure proper, they will still start looking a bit rough. But then do start shedding later and the shell smooths out and the great colors really show. Unlike tortoises, turtles add keratin under the entire scute and as it grows it does build up. Shedding will then get rid of those top layers and smooth out the shell profile.

Some plant matter with good vitamin A and natural sunlight also works wonders in ensuring good shedding.

Fresno, CA
Great information markw84!! Thanks! As the weather warms now... I try to get them some monitored outdoor time.... see the "pool monitor "

Attachments

• IMG_8970.JPG
    IMG_8970.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 9