Proper lighting for hermanns tortoise

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006CY41G2/?tag=
I am getting this lighting for my Hermann's tortoise's enclosure. The enclosure is of a good size, so I need to know if I should get any more lighting or if this is suitable for the whole enclosure?
Not suitable at all. Those are unreliable and they cause pyramiding. MVBs should not be used over tortoises. If you are watching the UV output with a meter, they are okay for reptiles that don't have shells like bearded dragons and Uromastyx.

Welcome to the forum. Start here and look for the heating and lighting breakdown near the bottom. There is also a temperate species care sheet down there for you.

THEADEMARCO

London
Thank you for informing me. I am looking at a 100W heat bulb for the basking spot and the arcadia pro T5 UVB strip for the rest of the enclosure? Does this sound better?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for informing me. I am looking at a 100W heat bulb for the basking spot and the arcadia pro T5 UVB strip for the rest of the enclosure? Does this sound better?
Yes. 100 watts may be too much, or not enough. Your thermometer will tell you. Be ready to adjust the height of the fixture up or down to get the correct basking temperature under it.

Can't beat the Arcadia ProT5 12% HO kits. Top notch. Run it on its own timer for a few hours mid day and the bulb will last for years.

You still need ambient light to make it nice and bright in there, and some people also need ambient heat depending on your room temperature and enclosure type.