Pros and cons

Popcorns17

5 Year Member
I have a one year old marginated tortoise. I was wondering what would be the pros and cons of a 40 gallon tank and a rubber maid container.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
tanks are so much more expensive. You can get a much bigger plastic container for a cheaper price.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a one year old marginated tortoise. I was wondering what would be the pros and cons of a 40 gallon tank and a rubber maid container.

I think both are too small for a one year old. A 40 would be fine to start a hatchling, but at a year they usually have some size to them and they need some room to roam about.

How much does your tortoise weigh?

I like glass tanks because I can see my tortoises and they can see me, but glass tanks are heavy and expensive.

Plastic tubs are cheaper and lighter, but less visually appealing to my eye. Don't get a low sided sweater box. These hold none of the needed humidity and once you add enough substrate, the sides are far too short.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Aw, what a cutie! About same size as mine. :)
I would go for 6'x3', I think that should last for another two years at least.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I had a 6x3 foot terrarium that I used for you get tortoises. It was nice and a Big enough for awhile. You can always. Build something too