Prospecting Tort owner from kansas

joeyacad

Hey everyone I have experience with turtles (fully aquatic turtles) but am just starting to learn more and more about tortoises. Ive always been interested in getting a tort and i know all the lighting requirments and everything like that having had turtles all throughout my life but i just had some habitat and diet questions.

So I live in southern Kansas so it gets pretty hot in the summer (90-100 day 60 - 70 night) and around 40 - 70 % humidity. I was thinking about a few different torts to get like a Redfoot, leopard, hermans, desert, spekes hindgeback, and black greek. I would want the tort to stay outside in the summer then bring him inside in the winter. So what im asking is what kind of tort is suitable for this climate and what would be the diet and habitat requirements for that tortoise.
Thank you and i cant wait to show him/her to all of you when i decide what to tort to adopt.

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Personally I would say those temps/humidity sound good for a Russian (or Horsefield) tortoise, as long as in your outdoor enclosure you obviously provide hides and shade as well as access to water all the time. There are care sheet threads around this forum that are awesome to look at for all different species.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Joey, and welcome to the Forum!!

Are you "prospecting" for a tortoise, or are you a "prospective" tortoise owner? LOL! JK

We have a few Kansans in our membership. You can keep any kind of tortoise you want to providing you give them what they need to live healthy lives. Some of the warmer climate species are harder to provide for in the winter, but with a few $$ and lots of time and effort it can be done.

A Russian tortoise is a good first tortoise. They are very forgiving of first time keeper's mistakes. Plus, they hibernate in the winter.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

joeyacad

I am prospecting haha. I was really set on a Russian because we'll to be honest I don't really find them that interesting. I would love a sulcata but they just get too dang big and destructive. I've also heard Greeks and hermans are pretty forgiving. I'm just having a hard time figuring out if I get a red foot or something that needs high humidity if I'll be able to keep it outside in the summer in kansas. Or if a tortoise that doesn't need a lot of humidity if the kansas humidity would hurt it and give it lung problems.

joeyacad

Hi Joey, and welcome to the Forum!!

Are you "prospecting" for a tortoise, or are you a "prospective" tortoise owner? LOL! JK

We have a few Kansans in our membership. You can keep any kind of tortoise you want to providing you give them what they need to live healthy lives. Some of the warmer climate species are harder to provide for in the winter, but with a few $$ and lots of time and effort it can be done.

A Russian tortoise is a good first tortoise. They are very forgiving of first time keeper's mistakes. Plus, they hibernate in the winter.

747117wei24kafiu.gif
Sorry I didn't hit reply but I did post a response

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I am prospecting haha. I was really set on a Russian because we'll to be honest I don't really find them that interesting. I would love a sulcata but they just get too dang big and destructive. I've also heard Greeks and hermans are pretty forgiving. I'm just having a hard time figuring out if I get a red foot or something that needs high humidity if I'll be able to keep it outside in the summer in kansas. Or if a tortoise that doesn't need a lot of humidity if the kansas humidity would hurt it and give it lung problems.
If a Russian does not interest you, I would think a Greek or Hermanns, or even Marginated but they get larger, would be a great option.

joeyacad

If a Russian does not interest you, I would think a Greek or Hermanns, or even Marginated but they get larger, would be a great option.
Ya I'm thinking something that doesn't have a big humidity need would be best, even tho I would absolutely love a cherry head red foot ha.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Ya I'm thinking something that doesn't have a big humidity need would be best, even tho I would absolutely love a cherry head red foot ha.
Check out the marginated. It's my favorite of the testudo species.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As Yvonne said, any species can work anywhere in the world with enough time, money and effort.

What traits or characteristics are most important to you? Things like appearance, hardiness, personality, diet, available space indoors and out, etc...? Once we know what you like and what you are after, we can make better recommendations.

joeyacad

As Yvonne said, any species can work anywhere in the world with enough time, money and effort.

What traits or characteristics are most important to you? Things like appearance, hardiness, personality, diet, available space indoors and out, etc...? Once we know what you like and what you are after, we can make better recommendations.

I'm looking for a personable tortoise that is hardy, not shy, is active, will follow me when outside and in the house, and yes appearance that's why I don't care for Russians that much. I don't want anything too big less than 12 inches would be ideal. I plan on getting an older tortoise to skip the venerable hatchling stage. And a tort I don't have to constantly watch the humidity level or watch for digging 24/7.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In my estimation, a hermanni most closely matches all of your criterion.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well Joey no tort should be wandering on the floor in the house , torts don't walk around anything and more through then over and they try to eat everything . So you see electric wires are a problem , carpeting is a problem because torts cannt spit up fur balls , just to talk about agree problems .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum