Pumpkin preparation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
So I got a pumpkin at the supermarket... I think,I'll have to cook it to soften it for them. Brains I would imagine can eat it just fine. When you guys are talking about shredding it, is that skin and all, in other words can they eat the whole thing, including guts and seeds? How should I cook it, oven?

Thanks!

Laura

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
ALDABRAMAN feeds the whole thing. However he has giants. I would steam it or par boil it. Steaming might keep it healthier as boiling, you would lose some nutrients/vitamins into the water. The oven might be okay, I would worry about it getting brown before it was soft enough. I wouldn't feed seeds, only because if he swallowed it, it cause problems, other then that the whole thing can be fed.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Laurie said:
So I got a pumpkin at the supermarket... I think,I'll have to cook it to soften it for them. Brains I would imagine can eat it just fine. When you guys are talking about shredding it, is that skin and all, in other words can they eat the whole thing, including guts and seeds? How should I cook it, oven?

Thanks!

Laura

Laura...cut it into chunks...then throw the chunks in a food processor...make sure there are a few seeds in there, as well!

feline8

5 Year Member
MD
Sometimes my red foot tortoise eats pumpkin raw, and munches it like a crisp apple
If it's too hard to press your nail into the pumpkin flesh, then I usually microwave it for 30 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.