Purchasing baby tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou

10 Year Member!
Hey

I am preparing for a baby tortoise, but I just realized that I will be getting a newly hatched tortoise (at about a week's age) from the breeder and its making a ~6hr trip to get here.

I am just a little worried about transporting and rehoming such a young tortoise. Some sources I have read advised me to get 3 month+ age of babies so that they pass their "delicate" stage.

Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Lou said:
Hey

I am preparing for a baby tortoise, but I just realized that I will be getting a newly hatched tortoise (at about a week's age) from the breeder and its making a ~6hr trip to get here.

I am just a little worried about transporting and rehoming such a young tortoise. Some sources I have read advised me to get 3 month+ age of babies so that they pass their "delicate" stage.

Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Where are you located? I got mine from CGKeith in AZ. Great guy great Greeks.

If you want a 3 month old then you'll get one at least that. Ask the breeder.

Get one that as old as you can get.

Lou

10 Year Member!
I think the oldest ones he has are at that age...aside from the parents of course. So I am trying to figure out if its wise for me to get such a young tort.

I am in Toronto, CA and the breeder is from Montreal. So Arizona is a little too far...;)

Thanks

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I got one that was a couple of weeks old, and shes doing ok, But if its your first tort, then its best to get an older one. Why dont you ask the breeder to keep it for a couple of months for you.Most of the serious breeders would understand and keep the tort for you,rather than risk the tort dying.
Good luck

yannick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Canada
Hi
I'm the breeder from Montreal ;o)
They are not born yet but they should hatch very soon,it's just that I'll see when they hatch and we'll see after if they are ready...due in a few days as they were laid the 14th of march and they are fertile and developped very well(candeling)
It's just that I don't want to ship and I'm already going to Toronto the 4th of June.We'll se if they are ready then...otherwise my babies are usually very ,very strong!They are Testudo Graeca "Morrokensis" my pair was identified by Egyptian Dan a few years ago..Thanks Danny! :O)
The babies ususally starts to eat greens right out of the eggs!!!and I have never lost one in 5 years of breeding them.
But Lou, if you want to wait longer there is no problems...you can come in a couple of months to get it and see the parents and my other torts in the same time ;O)

Also just to mention...Tortoises are rare in Canada and very hard to import,huge paperworks!
Thanks
Yannick

Lou

10 Year Member!
Hey

I have faith :). And the baby's new crib is almost complete.

Thanks

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I would ask the breeder to hold it for 3 months and pay a little extra, just for the peace of mind. I think a week is way too young to sell and I actually would not buy from a breeder who did that.

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Not to threadjack but I've dealt with Yannick and he won't steer you wrong.

Congrats on your new addition.
Let the addiction begin.

yannick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Canada
Hi Sue!
How are you doing?
Thanks for the nice comments!you know how I love my tortoises!!!

The baby Greeks have hatched they are so beautifull!came out of the eggs and are already eating little pieces of dendelions greens and other edible weeds...
They are not like the baby box turtles that sometimes I have to wait 2 weeks to start eating after they hatch!I get stressed but everytime they start eventually! ;O)

I got my first Indian star fertile egg! My female laid two Saturday night,one has a very weird shape like a very long pear.... the good looking one, chalked yesterday!!!!I'm so happy!

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
yannick said:
Hi Sue!
How are you doing?
Thanks for the nice comments!you know how I love my tortoises!!!

The baby Greeks have hatched they are so beautifull!came out of the eggs and are already eating little pieces of dendelions greens and other edible weeds...
They are not like the baby box turtles that sometimes I have to wait 2 weeks to start eating after they hatch!I get stressed but everytime they start eventually! ;O)

I got my first Indian star fertile egg! My female laid two Saturday night,one has a very weird shape like a very long pear.... the good looking one, chalked yesterday!!!!I'm so happy!

Hiya:), I'll pm you Yannick so we can natter,
Cheers Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.