Purchasing tortoise

Soco71

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County NY
I am a Russian Tortoise owner, I purchased her 6 years ago from a pet store. I live in south eastern NY and looking to buy a Cherry head red foot. NY has a huge reptile expo a few times a year and one is coming up. Is this a good place to purchase a tortoise or is it better to purchase from a reputable online dealer?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am a Russian Tortoise owner, I purchased her 6 years ago from a pet store. I live in south eastern NY and looking to buy a Cherry head red foot. NY has a huge reptile expo a few times a year and one is coming up. Is this a good place to purchase a tortoise or is it better to purchase from a reputable online dealer?

Shows and large broker-type online dealers are not generally good places to buy.

Best to buy directly from a breeder who knows the parents of your baby and all about how the baby was started and cared for. The initial few weeks of life are absolutely CRITICAL for a baby tortoise. Breeders generally have a vested interest and want to make sure all goes perfectly vs. a broker or someone at a show trying to make their money back on an expensive table.

There are lots of good breeders right here on this forum that will give you after support and loads of good info. If I were in the market for a RF, this is the first place I would go.

Soco71

Orange County NY
Shows and large broker-type online dealers are not generally good places to buy.

Best to buy directly from a breeder who knows the parents of your baby and all about how the baby was started and cared for. The initial few weeks of life are absolutely CRITICAL for a baby tortoise. Breeders generally have a vested interest and want to make sure all goes perfectly vs. a broker or someone at a show trying to make their money back on an expensive table.

There are lots of good breeders right here on this forum that will give you after support and loads of good info. If I were in the market for a RF, this is the first place I would go.
I have been in contact with one of the breeders in the forum thank you very much for the input!