Pyramiding advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amy9

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Surrey, Uk
I have only recently heard about pyramiding in tortoises and i have some questions about it! If anyone can help me that will be great!

How is pyramiding caused?

How can it be prevented?

If a tortoise already has signs of pyramiding will they have it forever?

How can you tell whether it is severe or not?

Does it damage there health or life expectancy?

Does anyone have any pictures of tortoises with a slight presence of pyramiding and a severe case of pyramiding?

I think I need to see pictures to fully understand what it is and stuff, if anyone can help that will be great! Thank you! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Amy:

I wouldn't worry about your Hermann's pyramiding. It doesn't look bad enough to be metabolic bone disease. The person on the other forum who told you your tortoise was pyramided made it sound worse than it is.

Just go over your husbandry practices and be sure you have the temperature, humidity, space, food and water correct for your type of tortoise. That's all we can do...offer the best care in our power. Your tortoise is very pretty and those little bumps add to his character. Don't worry about it.

This is what any unhealthy pyramiding looks like:

MBD.jpg

Amy9

5 Year Member
Surrey, Uk
emysemys said:
Hi Amy:

I wouldn't worry about your Hermann's pyramiding. It doesn't look bad enough to be metabolic bone disease. The person on the other forum who told you your tortoise was pyramided made it sound worse than it is.

Just go over your husbandry practices and be sure you have the temperature, humidity, space, food and water correct for your type of tortoise. That's all we can do...offer the best care in our power. Your tortoise is very pretty and those little bumps add to his character. Don't worry about it.

This is what any unhealthy pyramiding looks like:

MBD.jpg

Thats good then! I am glad its not bad, i was worrying because i dont want her being ill because of it! I am going to give her more of a variety of plants and weeds so hopefully that will help and i hope everything else i am doing is fine :) Im much happier now, thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just to take things a little farther:
1. It is caused by keeping them too dry and dehydrated as babies.
2. Keep them hydrated inside and out.
3. They will always have whatever pyramiding that has already formed, but new growth can be corrected with time and the right conditions. I've done it.
4. Severity can be judged by the height of the pyramid and the steepness of the sides of each pyramid.
5. In very severe cases pyramiding is often accompanied by MBD. It is mainly believed to be cosmetic, but in severe cases the shell might be weakened.
6. There are tons of pics all over this forum.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I'm not real sure about Hermanns torts, but I give my Sulcata Cooper a cuttle fish bone which he loves (some torts won't touch them) cactus pads, D3/Calcium powder on his food to help with the problem. So far I must be doing something right because his shell is beautiful, just like his dad! Lol! Like I said I don't know if you can use these things on yours but it may be worth checking into just so you won't have to worry about it. But Emysemys knows what she is talking about so if she seen pics and says not to worry much then id say your safe there, I'm just a worry wort! :) have a good day!

Amy9

5 Year Member
Surrey, Uk
Tom said:
Just to take things a little farther:
1. It is caused by keeping them too dry and dehydrated as babies.
2. Keep them hydrated inside and out.
3. They will always have whatever pyramiding that has already formed, but new growth can be corrected with time and the right conditions. I've done it.
4. Severity can be judged by the height of the pyramid and the steepness of the sides of each pyramid.
5. In very severe cases pyramiding is often accompanied by MBD. It is mainly believed to be cosmetic, but in severe cases the shell might be weakened.
6. There are tons of pics all over this forum.

Ohh i didnt have her as a little baby, but when she was quite young. Her shell isnt soft anywhere at all and i give her a calcium dust. I shall have a look around, thank you :)

cemmons12 said:
I'm not real sure about Hermanns torts, but I give my Sulcata Cooper a cuttle fish bone which he loves (some torts won't touch them) cactus pads, D3/Calcium powder on his food to help with the problem. So far I must be doing something right because his shell is beautiful, just like his dad! Lol! Like I said I don't know if you can use these things on yours but it may be worth checking into just so you won't have to worry about it. But Emysemys knows what she is talking about so if she seen pics and says not to worry much then id say your safe there, I'm just a worry wort! :) have a good day!

:) Yeah she has a cuttlefish bone but just kicks that around really instead of eating it lol and i dust her food with calicum dust but i am going to start dusting it more often and see if it helps! Thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.