Pyramiding Hermann's Tortoise,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swetortoise

5 Year Member
Hello everyone. This is my very first post on this forum and I've got a problem with my tortoise. I bought him two years ago, when he was six years old (more or less), and he's always seemed healthy and well. However, as of this summer I started reading up and looking into tortoise care and I soon realised that I've got no clues on how to handle him properly. At the moment he's living outside and the conditions are well. He has plenty of sun, a good diet and water. There are also several places where he is able to rest, and he digs down into the ground frequently. Everything seemed well to me until I stumbled on pyramiding, I did a lot of research and learned everything I could about it and when I checked my tortoise, I noticed that he has small pyramids, not much but enough to worry me. Now I wonder firstly, is pyramiding still a threat once they reach mature age and stop growing? And secondly, is there anything I can do to reverse the effects, or at least prevent it from continuing? Help as soon as possible is highly appreciated. Cheers.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Pyramiding cannot be reversed, it's permanent. While a tortoise is growing & developing pyramiding can be stopped at any point with corrections in environment, mainly humidity/moisture levels along with diet and a few other minor factors. As a fully developed adult tortoise any pyramiding that is present is permanent and irreversible.

Swetortoise

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
Pyramiding cannot be reversed, it's permanent. While a tortoise is growing & developing pyramiding can be stopped at any point with corrections in environment, mainly humidity/moisture levels along with diet and a few other minor factors. As a fully developed adult tortoise any pyramiding that is present is permanent and irreversible.
Alright, that's what I suspected. I suppose it's good that the pyramids are barely visible and not at all developed yet. Nor does he grow a lot, I will nonetheless make sure that the humidity and his diet is correct and well. A final question, at what age do Hermann males reach full maturity and stop growing? Approximately. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.