Pyramiding? I'm New, Can't tell for sure Sulcata

Alex Chou

Title says it all, and if it is pyramiding I would appreciate advice as to how to stop its progression.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0018[1].JPG
    IMG_0018[1].JPG
    468.8 KB · Views: 158

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. Yes, both of them are pyramiding the big one more than the little one. Check out the sulcata section under species specific title and it will tell you what you need to do. I would start by separating the two tortoises. They don't do well in pairs. Also look under "closed chamber" for some ideas of how to build an appropriate habitat. Feel free to ask any questions you like. There are very knowledgeable people here.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Agree with all said above. Also need to add they need a bigger enclosure. Even though I can't see the whole thing, I would bet anything it's too small. Also, those disc type thermometers/humidity gauges etc, do not work well or last long. A point and shoot infrared temp gun and/or a digital thermometer/humidity gauge with a probe works best.

Alex Chou

I already make sure to soak them 4 to 5, sometimes 6, times a week and I started spraying them with water 3 to 4 times a day. Money isn't exactly at our family's disposal at the moment, so is it ok to make do with a makeshift closed chamber with wet cloth towels and a sleep area of a cardboard box and a sponge? It tends to be hot where I live so we usually leave them in an outside enclosure with shade.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I already make sure to soak them 4 to 5, sometimes 6, times a week and I started spraying them with water 3 to 4 times a day. Money isn't exactly at our family's disposal at the moment, so is it ok to make do with a makeshift closed chamber with wet cloth towels and a sleep area of a cardboard box and a sponge? It tends to be hot where I live so we usually leave them in an outside enclosure with shade.

Where do you live? Perhaps outdoors would be best depending on your outdoor humidity levels.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California

Alex Chou

Thank you for the links, I read the links and now I'm just wondering if what I'm doing is enough to halt the pyramiding, they were like that when I got them, and how long it will take before noticing tangible results be it good or bad.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
The pyramidion will always be there but the new growth will come in much better if you change the living situation now. As they get bigger The bumps will get less noticeable but it will never go away completely.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts

I would not use cardboard and cloth. The cardboard would just get wet, break apart and/or mold, and once it does, they could probably break through it. Can you buy a plastic storage bin? They need substrate that can get moist and burrow into, I would take out that hay and newspaper right away. Dirt is 1000x better.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
At least you're changing things now.
No point in looking back, except to see what mistakes have been made in order not to continue doing them.
Look to the future and a better life for your torts.

Alex Chou

Thank you Tidgy's Dad, and lotus when you say dirt do you mean any run of the mill dirt I can find at a home depot?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Thank you Tidgy's Dad, and lotus when you say dirt do you mean any run of the mill dirt I can find at a home depot?

I'm just re-wording the care sheet made by a very experienced and knowledgable member: coco coir, orchid bark, cypress mulch, plain additive free soil, or yard dirt if suitable - the pet store stuff is way too expensive for such little bags, definitely get whatever you choose at the hardware store

Here's a link to that care sheet, great info:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Oops, I see I was beaten to it earlier, sorry!

Alex Chou

Sorry one last thing I replaced the hay substrate with an organic dirt one. The question I have left is should i water the dirt and if so how much and is it okay that they seem to be enjoy eating it O_0

Attachments

• IMG_0019[1].JPG
    IMG_0019[1].JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 42

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Organic topsoil should be okay as long as it's not fertilizer or doesn't have those horrible white bits in it.
Yes, you need to keep it moist, but not wet and bathe the tort daily while he's eating it.
Not good that he's eating it, though probably not harmful if you make sure he has lots of water to flush it through.
It may be because of a lack of fibre, give him plenty in his diet and maybe a supplement like Mazuri.

Alex Chou

o you know what nevermind those are eggshells
but i have one last concern about their drinking water since dirt makes it a lot more messy is it ok for the dirt to be in the water

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
o you know what nevermind those are eggshells
but i have one last concern about their drinking water since dirt makes it a lot more messy is it ok for the dirt to be in the water
They will drag dirt into it whatever you do.
That's partly why many people use coco coir, orchid bark and so on, on top of the soil, though some will still end up in the water.It also keeps the moisture in. Just change the water as often as you can.
I think egg shells ok, but I'm not sure, should be a good source of calcium as long as the shells are washed.
Perhaps someone else knows?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
A large plastic kiddie pool could be used outdoors. They're pretty cheap usually. The topsoil should be damp but not soaking wet. If you pick up a handful and squeeze it water should not come out of it. You definitely don't want it dusty. To make more of a humid hide you can use a plastic shoebox or some sort of plastic container with a little doorway cut in it. The plastic will make it more humid in there. You have eggshells in the dirt? I name not sure that would be too good for them although I have heard that people will grind egg shells and give it to their tortoise. You can get cuttlebone very cheaply and that is a good calcium source, you can also scrape some of it onto their food. You can get large Rubbermaid bins at Home Depot pretty cheaply, one for each tortoise.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430801138.065279.jpg
I use this for my box turtle when I first got her. You can make it a close chamber chiefly by cutting holes in the lid just slightly smaller than the light fixed years, lining the holes with aluminum for oil so the plastic doesn't melt and putting the light on top.