Pyramiding

Bigdanbo

Location (City and/or State)
Cheshire
Hi I'm new to the forum just hoping you could take a look at my tortoise and tell me if you think he may be pyramiding thanks everyone

Attachments

• 20180531_145525.jpg
    20180531_145525.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 139
  • 20180531_145511.jpg
    20180531_145511.jpg
    1,002 KB · Views: 127
  • 20180531_145516.jpg
    20180531_145516.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 135

Bigdanbo

Cheshire
Hi thanks for the reply iv just built him an new enclosure but been having trouble with substrate drying out all the time spraying down 3 times a day

Attachments

• 20180610_005420.jpg
    20180610_005420.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 80
  • 20180610_005407.jpg
    20180610_005407.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 83

Melis

Maryland
Welcome! You won’t be able to maintain humidity in an open top table. You need a closed chamber. Some people have built frames from things like pvc pipes and then hung sheets of plastic from them (like a shower curtain). Just be mindful of the lights as you don’t want a fire hazard.

Bigdanbo

Cheshire
Welcome! You won’t be able to maintain humidity in an open top table. You need a closed chamber. Some people have built frames from things like pvc pipes and then hung sheets of plastic from them (like a shower curtain). Just be mindful of the lights as you don’t want a fire hazard.
Thanks for the reply looks like may need to get the tools out again lol

daniellenc

Maryland
Yeah closed chamber for sure. Humidity and heat are lost so maintaining a stable environment is impossible.

Bigdanbo

Cheshire
I was under the impression that a tortoise table was the way to go so should I change to a riv ?

Saltymermaid

San Diego
I heard orchid moss is great for humidity. Kamp Kenan gives a great setup video for small and large tortoise, I would definitely suggest checking out some of his videos

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I heard orchid moss is great for humidity. Kamp Kenan gives a great setup video for small and large tortoise, I would definitely suggest checking out some of his videos

Orchid bark, not orchid moss. Moss will usually be eaten.

I definitely wouldn’t recommend Kenan. While he is very interesting, and obviously cares a lot about his animals, he doesn’t give out very good tortoise advice :)

Saltymermaid

San Diego

I definitely wouldn’t recommend Kenan. While he is very interesting, and obviously cares a lot about his animals, he doesn’t give out very good tortoise advice :)
Thanks for your opinion but I've actually been using the "Orchid Moss" for a while now, for my baby sulcata, and it's been just fine. No pyramiding so far and great for humidity. And Kamp Kenan tortoise setup video is actually really good. [emoji5]

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Wow....maybe understand what works for one may not work for another.....kinda keep this in mind :) We all share what we know and what we have tried and then folks coming can utilize what may work for them .... just saying is all :) :) :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thanks for your opinion but I've actually been using the "Orchid Moss" for a while now, for my baby sulcata, and it's been just fine. No pyramiding so far and great for humidity. And Kamp Kenan tortoise setup video is actually really good. [emoji5]

If it works for you, then definitely keep using it. However, if your little tort starts to eat it like most torts would, definitely remove it. I love using moss in my enclosures for that added humidity, it just sucks when they try to eat it, lol

The problem with Kenan is that the methods he uses usually only work for him in his humid corner of the world. He recommends that people keep their tortoises outside in open topped enclosures, and recommends that people keep their tortoises in pairs. He also suggested that pyramiding was caused by everything BUT lack of humidity. However, this was back when I used to watch him and take his advice, so he could have changed.

Saltymermaid

San Diego
Wow....maybe understand what works for one may not work for another.....kinda keep this in mind :) We all share what we know and what we have tried and then folks coming can utilize what may work for them .... just saying is all :) :) :)
Of course, I understand. I was just sharing as well, with what I have learned and what worked for me.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi thanks for the reply iv just built him an new enclosure but been having trouble with substrate drying out all the time spraying down 3 times a day

Hey OP I like your enclosure it has some interesting stuff going on for your tortoise.

One thing I noticed was your light. I think you are using a coil bulb for UVB? Lots of people on this forum have found that they are causing their tortoise eye issues. We’ve had at least 3 threads recently with that happening. It may not affect yours but please bare it in mind.