Pyramiding question

Gregor

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Slovenia(Europe)
As you know I have a 7 month old Sulcata. And when I got her she had a very small hint of start of pyramiding.
But if I am not mistaking once it starts it takes some time to stop.
She did grow a bit since I got her, and pyramiding is not getting worse, but I don't see smooth new growth.

So, how long does it take for new growth to start showing signs of smooth growth?

P.s.
I keep her in a closed chamber, with constant 78-85% humidity and 82°F, with basking spot 95°F.
Daily soaks and at least two additional mistings. I feed her ONLY grasses that I pick in the back yard. No store bought food, no Mazuri( does not sell in my country). Vitamins every 14 days, 3 times a week food gets sprinkled with ground cuttle bone.

IMG_1204.JPG IMG_1205.JPG IMG_1206.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The growth does appear to be on an upward angle rather than smoothing out. All we can do is try our best and hope.

Gregor

5 Year Member
Slovenia(Europe)
I truly am trying, but as it looks I am failing at it.
I keep her in a swamp enviroment, from the day that I got her.
I just compared pictures from todayand a month ago, and two new rings are on a same path as previous rings. No sign of smoothing.

Also, I can't make her to use humid hide box. She always sleeps about 4 inches away from CHE. I assume that this might be the reason for not smoothing out.

Prairie Mom

Mine had a previous owner. She had some pyramiding. It did take a while for me to see her carapace smoothing out. I wish I knew exactly how long. I can say that she was beginning to be a completely different looking little tortoise within six months.

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
That's a shame you can't get your hands on mazuri. My tort was the same way and he wasn't showing new growth. Then soon as I feed him Mazuri he took off! Gaining a gram everyday and the new growth is beautiful. I would try to send for it online if you can. Just one pack to give him a jump start. This is my tort. He is 7 months also and I started feeding him mazuri a month ago. You can see all the new growth since then.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1447872467.491894.jpg

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I truly am trying, but as it looks I am failing at it.
I keep her in a swamp enviroment, from the day that I got her.
I just compared pictures from todayand a month ago, and two new rings are on a same path as previous rings. No sign of smoothing.

Also, I can't make her to use humid hide box. She always sleeps about 4 inches away from CHE. I assume that this might be the reason for not smoothing out.
Your assumption is correct. Try moving the humid hide to where your tortoise does sleep. It may begin to use the hide. You could also try raising the CHE so that it isn't creating such a warm spot for you tortoise.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
I'm in the uk an managed to find some mazuri on ebay. the seller was/is a member on here. sorry I can remember her name. I was told nutrazu was the same stuff just under a different name for the eu market, whether its true or not I'm not sure but it might be worth looking for it under that name and see what comes up.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I think that some of our European and middle Eastern members have indeed gotten some.
I don't remember how.
@Tidgy's Dad
Thanks, Ed.:)
In mainland Europe Friskies/Purina do various Mazuri equivalents.
This is the one I use, Optimal, available in at least Spain, Portugal, France and Italy but I am not certain about Eastern Europe.
WIN_20151119_143015.JPG
Sorry about the poor picture quality.
That's a Russian tortoise on the label.
Whether this is available for mail order or can be found in Eastern Europe, I am uncertain.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
We need to see the ingredients list.
Crikey, it's two tiny for my rubbish camera to pick up and also not In English.
I will peer at in and translate as best as I can, since you asked so nicely.
OPTIMAL BALANCE
Ca/P
COMPLETE FOOD FOR TORTOISES AND HERBIVOROUS REPTILES.
Ingredients : Cereals, byproducts of vegetable origin, fish and fish byproducts, vegetables, yeast, oil and fat,
Additives : Nutritional additives: UI/kg : Vit A : 30,000; Vit D3 : 1,500; Vit E : 60; mg/kg : Vit C ; 550; corn dyes.
Constituent Analysis : Calcium : 1.46% ; Phosphorus : 0.77%.

SGT Fish

Columbus, Ohio
just for a little info. i just ordered straight from mazuri and it was shipped from PURINA. so maybe they have different brand names that have the same stuff

Gregor

5 Year Member
Slovenia(Europe)
They need more than just grass. Look on this list for some more options:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Since you can't find Mazuri, it would be good to add some occasional greens beans, peas, or alfalfa to get a little protein into the diet. More leafy greens in addition to the grass would be good.

Well, I said it wrong. It is not just grass. I feed diferent types of grasses like, dendilion, clover, daisy, .... Also from time to time I give vine leaves since a few feet away from my house is a big vineyard. Also she gets fig leaves, hibiskus leaves and flovers and also I got some prickley pear fruit that I give her from time to time.

I am also planning new enclosure that will be bigger, more heat insulated( to reduce heat escaping), and more interesting for tortoise so that she doesn't get borred.

Oh, and I have found Nutrazu food on ebay, but postage from England is the same value as the price for food.
As someone said, yes Nutrazu is Mazuri. It just has different name here in Europe. But I am a little surprised that this food isn't available in Germany.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well, I said it wrong. It is not just grass. I feed diferent types of grasses like, dendilion, clover, daisy, .... Also from time to time I give vine leaves since a few feet away from my house is a big vineyard. Also she gets fig leaves, hibiskus leaves and flovers and also I got some prickley pear fruit that I give her from time to time.

I am also planning new enclosure that will be bigger, more heat insulated( to reduce heat escaping), and more interesting for tortoise so that she doesn't get borred.

Oh, and I have found Nutrazu food on ebay, but postage from England is the same value as the price for food.
As someone said, yes Nutrazu is Mazuri. It just has different name here in Europe. But I am a little surprised that this food isn't available in Germany.

Sounds like you've got all the right ideas to me.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

Sounds to me like you are doing a GREAT job!!! :) Your tortoise is very lucky to have found you! :p

Gregor

5 Year Member
Slovenia(Europe)
Can I feed her this? I am a little conserned about fish meal among ingredients.

Ingredients: Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Rice Hulls, Soy Flour, Oat Flour, Wheat Flour, Fish Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Aluminum Calcium Silicate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Yeast Extract, Silicon Dioxide, Licorice, Dried Endive, Anise, Garlic Powder, Ground Chinese Cassia, Aloe Vera Gel Concentrate, Paprika, Ginger, Potato Meal, Juniper Extract, Papaya, Ethoxyquin (preservative), Vitamin A Acetate, Cholecalciferol (source of Vitamin D3),Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, d-Calcium Pantothenate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Inositol, Biotin, Niacin, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Carbonate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate.
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (min): 9.0 %, Crude Fat (min): 2.0 %, Crude Fiber (max): 26.0 %, Moisture (max): 8.0 %, Calcium (min): 0.9 %, Calcium (max): 1.3 %, Phosphorus (min): 0.4 %, Vitamin A (min): 20 IU/lb, Vitamin D3 (min): 10 IU/lb

Attachments

• soft_pellets_european_tortoise.jpg
    soft_pellets_european_tortoise.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 18