pyramiding question

Yoshibit

Location (City and/or State)
Kennesaw
Hey I don’t know how to start a new thread but I had a similar question with my baby Sulcata. I got him about two weeks ago and he’s super active but I think he might be pyramiding. I got him like that and I’ve been trying to give him the right food mostly kale, Roman lettuce, and mustard greens. He loves to soak in his water bowl and I spray him for humidity but is there anything else that could help

Yoshibit

Kennesaw
This is him and is there anything I can do to lessen the pyramiding already done?

image.jpg image.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hey I don’t know how to start a new thread but I had a similar question with my baby Sulcata. I got him about two weeks ago and he’s super active but I think he might be pyramiding. I got him like that and I’ve been trying to give him the right food mostly kale, Roman lettuce, and mustard greens. He loves to soak in his water bowl and I spray him for humidity but is there anything else that could help

Yes, he does appear to be starting to pyramid.

Diet is not the cause of pyramiding, but yours could use some improvement.
Grocery store food is low in fiber, and should not be used as a main staple in most cases. You should be feeding mainly weeds from outside. If they are not available, try and find foods like endive, escarole, arugula, chicory/dandelion, and radicchio, supplemented with pellets like zoo med’s grassland tortoise food and mazuri tortoise pellets.

Spraying is not enough for humidity. You need to have a closed chamber enclosure with 80-100% humidity, and be soaking almost daily.

With proper humidity and making sure the shell is moist will cause the new growth to come in smooth. Be sure to read the links above.

Yoshibit

Kennesaw
Yes, he does appear to be starting to pyramid.

Diet is not the cause of pyramiding, but yours could use some improvement.
Grocery store food is low in fiber, and should not be used as a main staple in most cases. You should be feeding mainly weeds from outside. If they are not available, try and find foods like endive, escarole, arugula, chicory/dandelion, and radicchio, supplemented with pellets like zoo med’s grassland tortoise food and mazuri tortoise pellets.

Spraying is not enough for humidity. You need to have a closed chamber enclosure with 80-100% humidity, and be soaking almost daily.

With proper humidity and making sure the shell is moist will cause the new growth to come in smooth. Be sure to read the links above.

thanks! I started growing him a garden with high fiber food but it’s just started getting roots. He does get daily baths that’s his favorite! But do you think if I got a humidifier for his cage that would help?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
thanks! I started growing him a garden with high fiber food but it’s just started getting roots. He does get daily baths that’s his favorite! But do you think if I got a humidifier for his cage that would help?

A humidifier could help, but would be unnecessary in a properly enclosed enclosure