Tortoise dragging back legs and shell has pyramiding and looks slanted not round. Help??!?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Thanks for the info. I have seen them sleeping together but mostly the larger ones will lay down and the little guy will come around and sleep right next to it. I’ve seen them both eat together and i haven’t really seen any problems so far, could this mean otherwise?

Let me explain Sulcata mental bullying: Snuggling up together is actually one tortoise invading the other’s space. It’s getting too close and telling the other to move out. The smaller, fitter one will know the larger one is weak and will try to capitalise on it. Eating together is also invading space - a battle of wills.

It will end in up in one of two ways:

- One will give up and stop eating and become withdrawn and sick

- Physical bullying = One mounting or ramming or biting the other ... and Sulcata fights can draw blood.

They must be separated particularly as one of your torts is already very unhealthy.

TortosieK

CA
Let me explain Sulcata mental bullying: Snuggling up together is actually one tortoise invading the other’s space. It’s getting too close and telling the other to move out. The smaller, fitter one will know the larger one is weak and will try to capitalise on it. Eating together is also invading space - a battle of wills.

- Physical bullying = One mounting or ramming or biting the other ... and Sulcata fights can draw blood.

They must be separated particularly as one of your torts is already very unhealthy.
Ohh ok I understand now, thank you very much. I will separate them then. I shoud leave the Larger one in the bigger cage and the little one in a smaller cage right?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Ohh ok I understand now, thank you very much. I will separate them then. I shoud leave the Larger one in the bigger cage and the little one in a smaller cage right?

Go as big as you can for both. Sulcatas grow rapidly and you will soon have two 100lb+ bulldozers on your hands. A bigger enclosure ensures you are not having to start over too often

TortosieK

CA
Go as big as you can for both. Sulcatas grow rapidly and you will soon have two 100lb+ bulldozers on your hands. A bigger enclosure ensures you are not having to start over too often
Ok thank you, and by start over do you mean make another large enclosure?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Ok thank you, and by start over do you mean make another large enclosure?
Your tortoises will outgrow the space that is suitable for them now. The bigger you can go now, the less often you will have to construct something even bigger. In a few years you will need two secure outdoor enclosures and two separate heated night boxes so they can live outdoors 24/7 year round. This species does not hibernate and gets too big to lift and move easily.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My thought was that while the animal is having difficulty walking, the smaller enclosure would be a better fit.

TortosieK

CA
That tortoise has a pretty severe case of metabolic bone disease. He's probably in a lot of pain. His bones have collapsed and there's nothing holding his shell up. He's flat instead of domed.

This tortoise needs immediate calcium/UVB help. The light you show in your picture doesn't provide UVB. You need one like either one of these:
View attachment 260235
Mercury Vapor Bulb (100 watt is usually good enough)

or

View attachment 260236
Tube type fluorescent UVB bulb. You can find these at lightyourreptiles.com

Without UVB, either from the sun or from a GOOD light, the calcium he eats just goes right through and out without doing any good for the bones and shell. And that's obviously what's been happening to this poor tortoise for most of its life. This isn't something you can ignore. He's going to die unless you address the UVB/calcium problem right away.

Change the substrate
set him up by himself
get a good UVB light immediately
feed calcium-rich foods
when he starts showing signs of improvement (no leg dragging) set him up in a larger enclosure.
Hi again, for a substrate, I bought brown mulch and wanted to know if that was good to use for the tortoises? I provided a picture of the mulch.

C6517F93-7E81-43BF-BA8D-7DFF9E7E3727.png

ricks45

Sulphur Louisiana

I see this repeated in many places and wonder what they do in the wild? Do they each dig their own burrow as soon as they hatch? Or do they share burrows until they get larger and decide to dig one? I also have seen pictures and videos of large scale breeders facilities with SEVERAL large adult sulcatas sharing burrows. Please explain. Rick

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I see this repeated in many places and wonder what they do in the wild? Do they each dig their own burrow as soon as they hatch? Or do they share burrows until they get larger and decide to dig one? I also have seen pictures and videos of large scale breeders facilities with SEVERAL large adult sulcatas sharing burrows. Please explain. Rick
In the wild they head for shelter as soon as possible and have the option of leaving if things get too crowded. There is no option to leave in captivity.

The dynamics of a group are different to pairs in any case. If there are only two tortoises there is a dominant one and a subordinate one. The subordinate is the only object of attention and , because it is in captivity, it cannot escape. It is pairs that we actively discourage.

In groups there are many tortoises and the "attention" dished out by the dominant animal is spread out. It is very unlikely that one tortoise will be constantly harrassed by the dominant animal. There are no guarantees of happiness even in a group, so the breeder will be alert to trouble and ready to separate.

Keeping tortoises in captivity is not keeping them in natural conditions. In the wild these animals will avoid competition if at all possible as it is in their own best interests.