Pyramiding questions

Franklin the tortoise

5 Year Member
At what age does pyramiding begin to show and what exactly is pyramiding? Is it when the whole shell starts to look like a pyramid or is it each individual scale. I don't believe my tortoise shell has started to pyramid but I am always worrying about it. ImageUploadedByTortForum1383551911.136268.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1383551934.421289.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Pyramiding can start as soon as growth starts. It is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. If conditions are too dry when a tiny hatchling starts to grow, it will start its growth in a pyramided fashion. Sadly, this is how most breeders still start them.

Pyramiding is when each individual scute grows upward eventually forming a cone, instead of growing out and flat.

Your baby does have a bit of a notch between the scutes which is the very start of pyramiding. This is exactly what I would expect in an open topped enclosure like the one you are using. We need to simulate the African rainy season to help hatchlings growth smooth and healthy. An open topped enclosure allows all your warm humid air to escape up and into the room. The only way they work is if the whole room is 80 degrees and 80%+ humidity all the time.

Click the links in my signature or go to the top of the sulcata page to read a care sheet that explains this more.